Administrator Help2Go Administrator Osc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Article: AT&T 3G Microcell Review : A Piece of Junk

Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

These femtocells are always low powered, maybe a quarter that of a wifi point, so they suffer with range problems. Here in Europe, they aren't popular because of that very reason. If the power gets boosted, they fall outside the safety limits set for microwave transmissions, so become illegal.

Interesting business model though - getting the customer to pay for equipment that makes up for the shortcomings of the provider's coverage!

Osc
    Administrator Help2Go Administrator Osc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arraknid View Post
    These femtocells are always low powered, maybe a quarter that of a wifi point, so they suffer with range problems.
    I think that's what surprised me most - how low powered it really was. I expected to at least get a good signal within 50 feet of the Microcell, but it started to putter out at around 20 feet. Terrible terrible product.

Honestly, I didn't mind paying the extra money as a one time fee if it would guarantee excellent coverage and call quality. It was a no hassle return, so I didn't really lose anything except time.
    Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You get the impression that someone thought this was a good idea without thinking any further?

And getting customers to pay for network shortcomings is absolutely classic.

Time to go back to a fixed line.