Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Option 4 fixed this issue 100% - "attention everyone" for those like me that didn't know how to go into safemode 1. Go to the green "start" button then click on "run" and type "msconfig" and when the "system configuration utility" box opens click on "boot.ini" and then click on the "safeboot box and click on "ok" and restart your computer. Option 4 will not work unless your in real safe mode!!!! (i made the biggest mistake by thinking "safemode" and "selective startup" were the same thing...i was sooooo wrong! - again thank you soooooo much for helping me god bless you my friend.

i am using ubuntu to see files of my window when i open window/system32/config
    their is files named system(not having any extension),system.LOG,system.sav,systm.iobit

which file should i rename according to option 5

i have tried to rename file system(not having any extension) but it showing error in renaming ,input/output error
    please tell what to be do, is i renaming the correct file

Hi PartieHonteuse. I've been trying to recover my Windows XP Dell desktop using your option 3. Found the RPs but could you explain the snapshot reference because all I get at this point is, "The system cannot find the file or directory specified." Many thanks for your help. Jim

Option 4 worked for me... thanks for posting!

My frustration was that I could not boot into Safe Mode, and when I tried to run Windows Setup from the CD to repair, it would crash and give me the BSOD every time. Thank goodness System Restore was enabled for this PC. Also, I have the cables (USB and power) to connect any hard drive externally to another PC, so that really helped too.

Option 4 sorted it for me!
    Thank you very much indeed for that, incredibly helpful, and I learned so much from the process too.

Default Option #3, System Restore in pre-boot Recovery Console, 'Access is denied.'

Post title:
    Option #3, System Restore in pre-boot Recovery Console, 'Access is denied.'

Hello,

I really appreciate option #3 above, I wish I had known how to use System Restore in the recovery console, the last time my computer was unable to boot. Unfortunately, the usual command didn't work in the recovery console, and a Google search didn't immediately yield the answer.

A couple weeks ago or so, I encountered the precise error message which this article was intended to address, and was fortunate to have located this article:
    "C:\windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt"

One brief piece of advice: When completing the following command under the "option 3" option, if you get an "invalid command" error, check to make sure you have entered a space between copy and _registry, as this may be easy to overlook when reading from a printed-out version of the document:
    C:\system~1\_resto~1\rp23\snapshot>copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system (read below3)

The good news is, that option 3 (above) otherwise worked perfectly for me, when utilizing it in precise response to the error message referenced. However (unfortunately,) a few days after this resolved my condition, another crash was encountered and now my computer will not proceed beyond the "Windows XP" screen upon bootup. I attempted the same System Restore resolution (option #3) which had worked for me previously, however this time it asked me for the administrator password (last time, it did not.) Now although I am quite certain that I do know what this correct password is (as I believe I have used it elsewhere, previously [maybe in the bios?]) unfortunately in this particular application I encounter the error:

"Access is denied."

This was encountered immediately upon entering my administrator password, after first entering the very first of the recovery console commands referenced under option #3 (above.) Might anyone have any idea, why this is not working now?

Background information:
    I have a Lenovo T43p laptop from 2005 which had been preinstalled with Windows XP Pro. I have a brand new 320GB IDE laptop drive, to which I had recently loaded an image created from my previous, factory 60GB drive and for which I had then used 'AOMEI Partition Assistant' to expand the existing 60GB partition in order to encompass the entire 320GB drive.

Any assistance, would most definitely be appreciated -Thanks.
    Last edited by andylofgren; 06-29-2013 at 02:08 AM. Reason: title of post not visible, now including in post body

Quote Originally Posted by Prodman View Post
    Hi PartieHonteuse. I've been trying to recover my Windows XP Dell desktop using your option 3. Found the RPs but could you explain the snapshot reference because all I get at this point is, "The system cannot find the file or directory specified." Many thanks for your help. Jim
    did you get an answer ?

I enter but get this message The system cannot find the file specified

after doing option 3 this what happened
    invalid parameter was passed to a service or function.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12