Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Help2Go Moderator

Default Article: C:\windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt

Last edited by PartieHonteuse; 01-19-2012 at 02:45 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PartieHonteuse For This Useful Post:

Option 4

Thank you very much. So much better than the official MS support advice. Really straightforward and has just saved me a complete re-install after an infection. Many thanks to the contributor. Option 5 equally useful in certain circumstances. Jerry

Default Certainly Agree with Loweprojects, a tremendous, well written document - Thank You!

Again, Thank you for this nice overview, significantly less confusing than the typical MS documentation.

I have a similar need for these methods, but with a unique twist.

Quick Background.
    My friends traditional Home Build Tower, successfully running Windows XP Pro for 3+ years. One day at startup, Windows will not startup due to:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

OK, so I go through CD boot to Windows to perform Repair, and the system fails to repair and the C: partition is not accessible.

C:>Dir - Listing of directory files fails
    "An error occurred during directory enumeration"

OK, so I used Chkdsk to try and repair file system, but not successful.
    C:\>chkdsk /p /r - Fails to complete to 100%
    Phase 1, 2, 3 OK CHKDSK is performing additional checking or recover....
    on Phase 4 stops at 50% with message:
    "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems."

I repeat this chkdsk process with same results.

OK, So I used the wonderful utilities complied on the
    "Ultimate Boot CD for Windows"

When I use TestDisk to evaluate the NTFS Boot Sector on the Windows XP partition, all seems OK. TestDisk reports:

Boot Sector

Backup boot sector

Sectors are identical.

This wonderful tool which has saved many systems and data for me in the past.
    It successfully enabled me to list (or show the directory structure of the windows partition).

I can view or list all the files including access to the WINDOWS system files
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\Config\ and I can see my SYSTEM file.

But I can only copy these files out, I can't use tools like 'Rename' or 'Copy/Past' from the Restore directory to try and replace the old (problem version of SYSTEM) with the restore point copies.

OK, so I used PhotoRec to copy out the raw important Photos & Documents.

Might anyone suggest a method to mend the Window Partition File System.
    How might I perform one of the restore options in this document without access to the Partition File System through a traditional NTFS management tool?

PS: Links to the wonderful boot utility lead by Benjamin Burrows. Thanks!
    UBCD for Windows

Includes the TestDisk & PhotoRec Utility used to access/recover critical files.

Default Config files gone

Not sure yet, but Googling led me here, ref. my backing up files from my XPH SP3 netbook and when I 'copy-pasted' the C:\Windows\Config folder's files, I instead found that 'copying' from the netbook's Config folder, resulted in it's files apparently being cut and pasted as I found the golder all but totally empty and seemingly no means to undo it, although I tried 'undo copy'.

Users who run into this post and/or experince this too, note that when I tried the 'undo copy' as seen in the 'copied' to window, a prompt indicated was I sure I wanted to 'delete' these files. Hesitant at first, I canceled, then re-tried the undo copy (as afforded in the window where they were 'copied' from) with same results.

With little to lose at this point, in the 'copied' from window, I went ahead and used the 'undo copy' and again it prompted was I sure I wanted to 'delete' these files. I OK's that and no luck, the files originally in the netbook's Config file wer/are still missing (and they're not in the recycle bin).

Even tried the same thing again and found the backed up folder's files for system32 were all gone and I didn't notice if any of them having been restored to the netbook's system32 folder. So much truth to 'if it aint broke, you're not trying hard enough'.

Suspect that missing/corrupt Config files are certainly possibly by attempting to copy system32 files. So I hope that readers running across this post might benefit from my experience. Also suspect that I'll (will or would) have issues re-booting and/or (hopefully not) simply continuing to back up other files; ie; My Documents, etc., before I do as planned, ie; use the Acer's eRecovery to reinstall afresh.

One would think that supposedly 'copying' files from the Config folder, that before they are instead "cut", that MS would have done a better job at protecting the OS and the user from such a scenario, as at no time did the 'copy-pasting' action prompt any caution like 'am I sure I want to do this as likely can cause issues booting in the future'.

Guess MS has to keep room for all their bloatware. Grrrr.
    Last edited by wguru; 12-06-2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: clarification

Wink Thanks alot it worked wasn't really that difficult just follow those steps

Quote Originally Posted by loweprojects View Post
    Option 4

Thank you very much. So much better than the official MS support advice. Really straightforward and has just saved me a complete re-install after an infection. Many thanks to the contributor. Option 5 equally useful in certain circumstances. Jerry

Many thanks, PartieHonteuse, great tutorial: clear, concise and very helpful. Now, I've been struggling with this missing/corrupt file issue for a couple of days, and still haven't been able to resolve it. This is what I've done so far:

1. I've got a copy of KNOPPIX and managed to recover the files I needed the most.
    2. I used the iso.image file to boot my desktop and get into the console recovery utility.
    3. I ran chkdsk (/p and /r) on both C:\ and C:\Windows and both managed 100% completion. I rebooted it, but got the same message:Windows could not start because C:\windows\system32\config\system file is missing or corrupt.
    4. I run Option 3, but there were no Restore Points, none whatsoever!

I do not know if there is something else you could recommend I should do. Incidentally, is it possible that the internal hard disk is damaged? My hard disk is a Seagate Barracuda. I'm wondering if I could download Seagate diagnostics tool, here:

SeaTools for Windows | Seagate

via Iceweasel (the internet facility of KNOPPIX Linus Live CD) and then run it to check my desktop internal hard disk. If so, how?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me to resolve this issue.

PS Please, keep in mind that my knowledge is very basic.

Garvaluk - London
    Last edited by garvaluk; 01-24-2012 at 11:25 AM.

I am using Windows XP Home. There are no rpxx files in the C:\Windows\System32\Restore folder. I think the only place they exist are in the SystemVolumeInformation folder.

Option 3 worked first time. Much easier than microsoft support.
    Brilliant
    Thank you

Thank you very much Dude!!!
    Option 5 helps a lot!!!

Thanks Alot Dude!
    The option 3 works for me and in no time. you saved me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast