Default Virus phone scam

Virus phone scam being run from call centres in India | Technology | The Guardian

This scam has become more widespread recently. I've had three calls like this in the last few days. They quoted the wrong name and address each time but I don't know how they got hold of my number as I'm ex-directory. The first time I just hung up, the second time I told them I didn't have a computer, which puzzled them. Today I let rip and told them never to darken my door again (only using certain four letter words which I'm normally too polite to use in decent company).

So "Nancy" with an Indian accent - if you're reading this you're pond life and for all the people you've ripped off, I hope you get worms. And a very nasty virus ...
    Today is the dawn of another error ...

Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.4GHz;
    RAM 8.0 GB;
    Windows 7 Home Prem SP1 64 bit
    Firefox; IE11

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

You're not alone Steph .. I've had at least 3 calls in the past couple of weeks (in Western Canada). I'm pretty sure they call random numbers, use a fake name and address in the hopes that they'll be corrected. When I get these calls, all I say is "I don't talk to scammers' and hang up, it gives a bit of satisfaction in saying that and knowing that some of us anyway are on to them.

Now, if you want to be really dirty about it, make sure that they are scammers calling .. then tell them you can't hear them (to which they'll put the phone closer to their ear) then give them a blast from one of those canned horns (that boaters use or for starting races etc.).. I've never done this, but I've heard that it will leave a person's ear ringing for about a day. I'd better cover myself and say 'I'm only repeating what I've heard, not that I condone such actions ...."

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    I'm pretty sure they call random numbers, use a fake name and address in the hopes that they'll be corrected.
    So that's why they kept asking me to confirm if I was so and so of such and such address, not that I gave them any information. So many people would fall for that. An elderly lady I know, who is also ex-directory, was frightened half to death recently when someone rang her to try and sell her something. When she asked how they got hold of her number, the woman at the other end laughed and said "Your number? I know your address, who your accounts are with and everything about you." And they always phone from untraceable numbers. Like I said, pond-life.

As for ringing ears, I like the idea of leaving them with that - so I'm just off to buy a horn
    Today is the dawn of another error ...

Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.4GHz;
    RAM 8.0 GB;
    Windows 7 Home Prem SP1 64 bit
    Firefox; IE11

Blog Entries

I find it's easier to say "Can you hold please, I'll be with you in a minute" and then put the phone down. After, say, 20 minutes I pick up the phone and say "sorry to keep you", if there is a response I say "I'll be with you shortly" and put the phone down again. They get discouraged fairly quickly. Advantages: 1)They pay for the call 2)It is very annoying for them. Disadvantage: It ties up your home line but then most of my friends call me on my mobile phone and any authentic businesses will call you back anyway
    A little help is worth a ton of sympathy.

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge