Default Proper steps to replace your existing AntiVirus

There are many reasons why you may want to replace your current AV (AntiVirus). Many computer users do not realize that there is a proper way to replace that current AV without leaving yourself vulnerable to infection in the process, or to prevent from ending up with multiple AV's installed on your computer.

The real-time protection of two antivirus programs may conflict with each other and cause the following:
    • False Alarms: When the anti virus software tells you that your PC has a virus when it actually doesn't.
    • Conflicts: Your system may lock up due to both products attempting to access the same file at the same time.
    • Performance: More that one antivirus will cause your PC to become slow and it may even crash or blue screen.
    • Less protection: Two antivirus trying to scan the same file may interfere with the process and allow a malicious file onto the computer without notice to you.

To ensure that you have properly uninstalled your previous AV and to ensure that you have installed your replacement AV of choice and to prevent from having more than one AV installed on your computer please read the following instructions in The Classroom:

How to properly replace your AntiVirus (AV)

If you have any questions, concerns or would like to ask for guidance from one of the dedicated members of Help2Go, please start a new thread in our Computer Help forum.

As a side note:

Please pay close attention to the dialogue boxes as you install any software to prevent from installing unwanted scanners, toolbars, browsers, etc. If you encounter any prechecked advertised software, please uncheck the boxes to ensure they are not installed along with the installation of the software you desire. These unwanted, unasked for applications are known as foistware.

For examples of foistware, please see link below:

Avoiding the installation of Foistware (aka crapware, and drive by installs)
    Last edited by DonnaB; 08-10-2012 at 02:50 PM.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Unwanted Software??? :O

could you provide some examples so less experienced people (like me!) know what to look for?
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

There you go MrDarn. If you can think of anything that I overlooked, I truly appreciate your expert advice.

If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

"Many computer users do not realize that there is a proper way to replace that current AV without leaving yourself vulnerable to infection in the process."

Simple. Disconnect from your internet connection. Unless you already have a virus or trojan on your computer, you cannot download one without an internet connection.

"Performance: More that one antivirus will cause your PC to become slow and it may even crash or blue screen."

Or you could just install Norton and have all of that without installing another AV.

"Please pay close attention to the dialogue boxes as you install any software to prevent from installing unwanted scanners, toolbars, browsers, etc.
    "

A further side note. Don't install ANY toolbars, period.

Regards,

Michael

Hi Michael,

Welcome to Help2Go!

Yes. Disconnecting is very important once the files are on the desktop that will be needed for this task.

On a personal note, I prefer to steer away from AV Suites due to their bulkiness. There are many reliable free alternatives. 99.9% of infections are due to the negligence of the user.

As for toolbars! Egads! Below are a couple of really good articles I recommend for learning about toolbars:

Unwanted Toolbars by miekiemoes

Browser Toolbars - The Good, the Bad and the Unnecessary by Aaron

Donna

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaB View Post
    Hi Michael,
    Hi!

Welcome to Help2Go!
    Thank You. Everyone very cordial here. Very refreshing.

On a personal note, I prefer to steer away from AV Suites due to their bulkiness. There are many reliable free alternatives. 99.9% of infections are due to the negligence of the user.
    A lot of good freeware alternatives out there. I've used a few in the past. AVG comes to mind, and I install freeware AV programs on my customers systems when needed.

Recently, after much testing and review, I paid for the Avast! AV program and thus far have been very pleased with its performance. Reminds me of the 2008 Trend Micro suite.

Agree many of the "suites" out there are bloated, mostly due to trying to do everything, rather than simply one thing, that which they were originally designed, virus protection. These days, everyone is trying to keep up with the Jones' with all-in-one products.

Norton started this unenviable trend, and they continue to be the worst of the bunch, causing a huge strain on your computer's resources.

And trying to delete an NAV product requires a 400 page manual and several sticks of dynamite....still! lol.

Who are you taking your cert program with? Never heard of a malware "degree" before. Thought I'd heard them all.

Proud son of a U.S. Air Force Colonel. (Ret.) :-)
    Last edited by asoonernurse; 08-26-2012 at 02:30 AM.

Recently, after much testing and review, I paid for the Avast! AV program and thus far have been very pleased with its performance.
    I love Avast (sandbox feature is great!)! I have the free version installed on my Win7 and Vista though I do have MSE installed on my XP's. Many people think the paid for versions are better b ut what they don't know is safe surfing starts with who inputs on the keyboard.

Norton started this unenviable trend, and they continue to be the worst of the bunch, causing a huge strain on your computer's resources.
    Couldn't agree more! I love when people complain of a slow system and have only 1GB of RAM with Vista/Win7 installed with Norton, Panda, or some other suite.

And trying to delete an NAV product requires a 400 page manual and several sticks of dynamite....still! lol.
    ROFL! So true!

Who are you taking your cert program with? Never heard of a malware "degree" before. Thought I'd heard them all.
    Geeks To Go! aka GeekU. There are several programs out there. You seem to have a plethora of knowledge to share with the world. You should enroll! I'm sure you would do very well. We need all the help we can get in the field of removing malware. We're out numbered drastically as opposed to those creating malicious content.

Proud son of a U.S. Air Force Colonel. (Ret.) :-)
    How wonderful! Tell your father thank you for me.

When I first saw your user name I assumed you were from the Sooner State (Oklahoma).

I love Avast (sandbox feature is great!)! I have the free version installed on my Win7 and Vista though I do have MSE installed on my XP's. Many people think the paid for versions are better but what they don't know is safe surfing starts with who inputs on the keyboard.
    True. I decided the paid (Pro) version was worth the few bucks they charged. I don't lay down cash for too many programs these days, with all the wonderful freeware programs on the market, but sometimes, when I really dig a program, I'll spring for a license.

Geeks To Go! aka GeekU. There are several programs out there. You seem to have a plethora of knowledge to share with the world. You should enroll! I'm sure you would do very well. We need all the help we can get in the field of removing malware. We're out numbered drastically as opposed to those creating malicious content.
    Well, I'm not sure a plethora of knowledge is the right term. I have a great deal of experience, which, I suppose upon reflection equals out to knowledge, but malware has never been of much interest to me. I like the operating systems and hardware side of things.

I'll leave the malware fight to all you soldiers. I stay away from the malware forums, as I've nothing to contribute, compared to you guys.

When I first saw your user name I assumed you were from the Sooner State (Oklahoma).
    Dead on. A Sooner Nurse. That's me. I've just been upended here in sunny California. Just got here in April.