Default Avoiding the installation of Foistware (aka crapware, and drive by installs)

First of all, allow me to explain what Foistware (aka crapware, drive-by-installs) is:

Foistware is software that is bundled along with other software that has no relation what so ever to the program that the user is installing. The foistware itself may be a legit program, though the manner in which it is installed makes it Foistware.

Some excellent examples of foistware can be found in the list on Calendar of Updates, Installers hall of shame and a few updates were added to the list in evilfantasy’s blog

Please see the following link for just a few examples of foistware:

Examples of foistware, crapware, and drive by installs

Below are just a couple that I have encountered myself while creating tutorials on how to prevent the installation of foistware while guiding others to install new software.

The first image shows the option to install the Babylon Tool Bar. If you do not choose custom installation which provides the opportunity to uncheck this "bundled" software it will make Babylon your default search engine and it will also change your desired home page in your browser. It is a beast to get rid of without guidance of a professional.

This next one wants to include the Google Chrome browser and will install if you do not uncheck that option as I have in the image.

Unfortunately, the developers of free software that is largely distributed sometimes get paid to bundle such unrelated software with their software. The Foistware is mentioned in the End User License Agreement and many do not take the time to read the EULA. Though it can be time consuming, reading the EULA could provide insight as to what to look for while the software of choice is being installed to prevent from having to uninstall the software once it miraculously appears in your programs list.

Whenever you install or update ANY program, make it a point to always select Custom installation. This way you can UN-check any possible foistware (aka crapware or drive by install) which may try to install along with the legitimate program of your choice. Do NOT click the Next button without looking at any given page.

And to avoid the extra foistware, crapware, and drive by installs I'd like to introduce to you a site I recommend called Ninite.

Ninite is a service that was developed by Patrick Swieskowski and Sascha Kuzins and allows users to automatically install popular applications for their operating system. It allows users to make a selection from a list of applications and bundles the selection into a single installer package. There are currently two versions of the service, for Windows and Linux OS's. It is free for personal use though a paid version, Ninite Pro, is available for business use. Ninite isn’t even installed on your system, you just use a stand alone executable to begin the install process.

You can read more about Ninite here

One of the features that I like is if you do not see the software application that you desire you can suggest that particular application by clicking on Show suggestion form at the bottom of the sites page.

The site is user friendly. Just place a check in the box next to the software you desire and scroll down and click on the large green Get Installer button near the bottom of the page.

If you have any questions or concerns do not hesitate to start a thread in our Computer Help Forum and ask away.
    Last edited by DonnaB; 10-27-2015 at 10:03 PM.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Osc