Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Question What is the next year of the next Y2K time havoc?

The Y2K bug caused a worldwide panic because many computer programs used only two digits (instead of four) to store the year for a particular date. What is the next year expected to cause similar computer-related havoc?

a. In the year 2525
    b. 2038
    c. Y3K
    d. 10,000
    e. It's irrelevant--the world will end in 2012, anyway

(see answer @ bottom of the post)
    Software written in such a way that the date and time are stored in memory as a signed 32-bit integer cannot recognize a date beyond January 19th, 2038. For any later date, the corresponding integer will cause the date to wrap around to years starting with 1901. Many 32-bit applications and even operating systems still use this system for dates and time (including several 32-bit Unix variants); but the biggest worry isn't about the apps on individual desktop PCs, but with the operating systems embedded in consumer and industrial technology. For more info, check out 2038bug.com.

Not a problem for this old man

b. 2038
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

In the Year 2525

Is a hit song from 1969 by the Lincoln, Nebraska duo Zager & Evans which reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100 for the six weeks commencing July 12.

In the Year 2525 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyone remember that!

Oh yeah! I remember that song very well!

That song was a fluke! Rick Evans wrote it to enter a contest at the college where he and his friend attended to try and win the monetary prize to help finance their education. (think that's correct) A music scout just happened to be in the audience. From there, the one hit wonder became famous.

As for What is the next year of the next Y2K time havoc?

e. It's irrelevant--the world will end in 2012, anyway!!! Not! It's just the End of the world as we know it! (another good song by REM)

The media blew the Y2K Bug way out of proportion. I'm sure that by 2038, technology will be so advanced, computers of today will be placed in the Museum next to The Antikythera Mechanism, sometimes called the first analog computer, that is believed to be the creation of Archimedes.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Donna's right. Technology develops at an exponential rate, so in 28 years time things will be totally different. Imagine the state of affairs back in 1982 (28 years ago), compare it with now - then multiply it by 10 (at least!).

I doubt 32 bit systems or software will even be around. 256 or 512 bit sounds more like it.

Blog Entries

Do not distress yourself with wild imaginings - Desiderata. By the time any of this is likely to happen I shall beyond computers. There are advantages to getting old.
    A little help is worth a ton of sympathy.

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge

Oooo! Max Ehrmann He's my hero! That's a must share with the masses!

The Desiderata

My only concern about the future is that which is there for my children and grandchildren. I am but one and can not control their future, yet I can prepare them for it with the wisdom from my experiences in the past!

If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Blog Entries

Granted Lady Donna but we cannot change the future by worrying. My old Dad used to say "Hope for the best and prepare for the worst."
    A little help is worth a ton of sympathy.

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge

Blog Entries

Wink

I agree tech will be completely different...in 28 years

I was just hoping my DOS computer would still give the appropriate date to my great grand kids (had to leave something in the will...me and the wife plan on spending most $$$)

I am up to DOS 6.0...looking closely @ Win7 (wow..I can really be sarcastic @ times)..apologies in advance

Nice thing about DOS is you start by up dating the date...so have we really improved

DOS never crashed ...you could pull the plug and just boot up...no registry to screw things up...I really actually miss DOS as a basic computer

If you understood paths you could use DOS
    Last edited by abseh1; 09-02-2010 at 07:03 AM.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I bet you loved to play Pong too!

Blog Entries

yepper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast