Thread: Is this a con?

Default Is this a con?

Registry — RegistryBooster — Top Rated Registry Cleaner

This was advertised as a free scan to check if there are any problems causing computers to crash/run slow/freeze etc. Apparently i have 579 problems which these people will kindly fix for me (at a price). My computer seems to be running ok so i see no reason to panic. Is this a known scam or should i be concerned?
    Last edited by Canuck; 09-01-2010 at 11:21 AM.
    Be alert. The world needs lerts.

My computer seems to be running ok
    The problem that registry cleaners can create is when they are too aggressive in cleaning out your registry. And since there is so much competition in this category of software utility, the software makers promise better results by being more aggressive. They improperly delete keys and values, so that when a software program goes looking for the information, it is no longer there.
    See links for more.

Why I don’t use registry cleaners
    What's the best registry cleaner?

"The best advice is NOT to run ANY registry cleaner, any time, anywhere!!"
    zep516

Hi Grezaldo,

I'd like to add to zep516's advice above.

Is this a known scam or should i be concerned?
    Yes! It is a scam! And I'm concerned! The link that you provided above was targeted by my WOT Program as an untrustworthy site, poor vendor reliability and privacy. I'd suggest installing WOT (if you don't already have it) to protect yourself from such sites. Though self discipline is the key from entering poor sites such as that one.

Anytime a scan tells you that you have that many problems, always get a 2nd opinion before you continue. You did the right thing by getting that 2nd opinion.

If the program was installed, please go to your Add/Remove Programs and uninstall immediately. Sites like that may also install Tracking Cookies that may be used to track internet users' web browsing habits.

Please keep us informed if you have any more concerns.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Thanks, I suspected it was a bit dodgy. I will install WOT.
    Be alert. The world needs lerts.