Blog Entries

Wink Why is Windows 7 Called Windows 7?

We’ve had Windows 3x, Windows Me, Windows XP, Windows 2000, Vista and now Windows 7. Why did Microsoft choose 7 and not Vista II or Windows 2009? It’s a basic question with a simple answer? Why would anybody be interested? Well, if you use Google’s predictive search system that reveals the number of times a question has been asked on the search site you discover this: Why is Windows 7 called Windows 7 – 789,000,000. It’s not an uncommon question!
    During its embryonic stages the OS we now know as Windows 7 was codenamed Blackcomb and Vienna. Unlike Vista however the new systems was intended only as an evolution. Vista, lest we forget, was a revolution. And though it’s a truth universally acknowledged that Vista hasn’t been a hit, a reactance to tar the new OS with same brush doesn’t completely answer the vexing ‘7’ question.
    Microsoft’s Mike Nash completes the story on the official Windows Team Blog:

“The decision to use the name Windows 7 is about simplicity. Over the years, we have taken different approaches to naming Windows. We've used version numbers like Windows 3.11, or dates like Windows 98, or "aspirational" monikers like Windows XP or Windows Vista. And since we do not ship new versions of Windows every year, using a date did not make sense. Likewise, coming up with an all-new "aspirational" name does not do justice to what we are trying to achieve, which is to stay firmly rooted in our aspirations for Windows Vista, while evolving and refining the substantial investments in platform technology in Windows Vista into the next generation of Windows. Simply put, this is the seventh release of Windows, so therefore "Windows 7" just makes sense.”
    ==========================

More Windows trvia below:

No Folders Called Con

You can’t create a folder called ‘Con’. Open up Computer, your hard disk and right click to create a new folder. Give it the name ‘Con’ (without the quotation marks) and, following an error, the folder will default to New folder. Strange. Weirdly this ‘feature’ is also a relic which harks back to older versions of Windows too. Try the same trick in Windows XP, for example.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

because it’s the next version after Windows NT 6 (Vista).

Blog Entries

But I dare them to call it Vista 2...thus Win7
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer