Thread: Malware Doctor

Blog Entries

Smile Malware Doctor

This is probably the wrong forum for this little story but what the heck. My good friend and neighbour came to me distraught because his young daughter's laptop was infected by Malware Doctor. I eventually found how to get into Safe Mode (the laptop was bought in a superstore and the manual was useless). I then downloaded Superantivirus and Malwarebytes through my laptop on to a memory stick and installed them on to the infected machine. Both programs located the virus and apparently cleared it (along with over 1000 other intruders). On rebooting each time, however, the virus reappeared. I tried restoring to 2 days previously with no effect. I then tried restoring to a week previously again without success. Next I restored back to a month earlier and finally nailed the rascal. Dad and daughter were delighted and I got a bottle of scotch from Dad for my troubles I have no reason to tell anybody this story except that I felt so good at being able to help.
    A little help is worth a ton of sympathy.

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Good for you RDL. What can happen is the virus is backed up in System Restore. It was lucky that the restore points went that far back. Unless you cleared the restore points, the virus is still on the PC. If all is running well, go to System Restore and turn off, this should clear all restore points and then restart System Restore. When restarting, set the slide bar to about 2% especially if there is little free space on the HD (default is 12%, which means on a 100 gig hard drive 12 gigs is set aside for restore points, which is far too much.) This is good for any OS up to XP, Vista doesn't work this way, not sure about Win7.

Blog Entries

Thanks Canuck I'll take your advice. The laptop is running Vista Home. It was such a pleasure to be able to help as, like me, my friends are not rich people and were preparing for a large repair bill.
    A little help is worth a ton of sympathy.

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge