Blog Entries

Default Why you should use different passwords on every site

Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Osc For This Useful Post:

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I used to use a password manager, but soon got fed up with it not recognising some of the sites, which meant searching through notebooks. These days, I stick to one password, but sometimes prefix it with the site name, depending on what level of security is needed.

Paranoia increases the need for more secure passwords but, apart from very few instances, it doesn't really matter.

The few exclusions to that are the company network, email accounts, bank accounts, ebay and paypal. As for the rest, anyone who's that inquisitive is welcome to them.

Osc
    Administrator Help2Go Administrator Osc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For sites that you don't care about, it's perfectly fine to have a single password. But the rule of thumb is: if someone accessing a site would cause you problems, it is best to use a different password there. Using a good password scheme that incorporates the name of the site in some way without being too obvious certainly helps.

One of the best software purchases I made over the past year was a family license for 1Password: Password Manager + Automatic Form Filler (There's a beta available for Windows). It is seamless with the way it saves passwords and works with just about every website out there. You just click a button and it logs in for you. Plus, it has saved me endless hours of aggravation - my wife was very bad about remembering passwords to accounts she set up for us (utility companies and such) - it's never a problem anymore!
    Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go

Osc
    Administrator Help2Go Administrator Osc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go