Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SD HC 4GB Memory Card in Camera

Hi I have Vivitor DCR 810 Camera and when I put my SD card in and want to record it tells me I have 1:00:47 recording in HD: 1280-720 Which is fine. But when I take the SD card out and put it into a Vivitor DCR 910 and choose recording in HD: 1280-720 It will tell me that I have 2:14:16 recording. Why would there be more? when it is both for HD: 1280-720?
    I tested both and on the DCR 810 my video file on the computer says: Frame Width1280 Height 720 Data Rate 1809 kbps frame rate: 20 f/sec.
    On the DCR910 It says: Frame width 1280 Height 720 Data Rate 1210 Frame rate 19 F/sec.
    Which would be the better of the two cameras?
    I'm wonder why the SD card shows such a difference? it a Dan-Ele SDHC 4 GB card.
    Thanks

The most probable reason would be the first camera is recognising the 4GB SDHC card as a 2GB SD card, as the HC standard would have been released after that camera was made.

I work in a Photoshop now, and see this alot, whereby a camera recognises the SD filesystem, but cannot read more than 2GB as it was "told" when it was made that an SD card cannot be more than 2GB

However, this is incorrect, because 4GB SD cards have been made, although they are rare.

A firmware upgrade may be available for the first camera, so it can utilize the fill capacity of the new card, but i'll have to look into that for you.

The SDHC standard currently goes up to 32GB cards, but is expected to increase in the future, with the MicroSD card becoming the storage media of choice in the future... Samsung have already converted their advanced camera range (Non DSLR) to use the MicroSD card, with other brands to follow. I know for certain FujiFilm are adopting the MicroSD card in the next 3 years as standard for non DSLR cameras.

God i could go on for hours!
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MrDarn For This Useful Post:

Osc

thanks and You could go on for hours I want to learn. As for the first camera it stated it will take a SD card up to 8 gb but on the second it says it will take them up to 32 gb. Nothing mention of what kind just SD. No SDHC. Once again Thanks

If it mentions 8GB or 32Gb then its an SDHC it refers too...

Have a look at this for info..

Secure Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    In partuicular ths section explains the issue:
    SD and SDHC compatibility issues

The SDHC specification was completed in June 2006,[26] but by that time, non-standard high-capacity (>1GB) SD cards (based on the older 1.x specification) were already on the market. The two types of storage cards were not interchangeable, creating some confusion among customers. SD and SDHC cards and devices have these compatibility issues :

• Devices that do not specifically support SDHC do not recognize SDHC memory cards.[27] Some devices can support SDHC through a firmware upgrade.[28]
    • SDHC devices are backward compatible with SD memory cards.[28]
    • Some manufacturers have produced 4 GB SD cards that conform to neither the SD2.0/SDHC spec nor existing SD devices.[29]
    • File System: SD cards are typically formatted with the FAT16 file system, while SDHC cards are typically formatted as FAT32.[25] However, both types of cards can support other general-purpose file systems, such as UFS2, ext2 or the proprietary exFAT for example.
    • Microsoft Windows may need a hotfix to support accessing SDHC cards.[30][31][32]

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Thanks for the infor. What do you think the reason would be getting more recording time from on camera then the next as mention above, I use the same setting.
    Also when I record a video from one camera and put the card into the the next it will record and all the files I can download on my computer but If I want to view them on the camera I only get the one from the camera that the card is in. Not all of them. Which is funny because both cameras are vivitar. One is DVR 810 and the outher is DVR910 HD. I don't know which came out first.
    Would you have any Idea how I can buffer the sound when recording, the wind, I do youth soccer games and the wind is always blowing off Lake Huron and it load in the video.
    Thanks Again
    Last edited by Machine; 10-19-2010 at 01:26 AM.

As a said before, the reason is probably the older camera not being able to read a 4gb card, and recognising it as a 2gb instead.

This is actually unusual, as it normally just completely rejects the card as bad... i have no idea why this one would allow you to write to it from a camera that does not accept SDHC technology.

As for the sound, i have no idea, unless you just want to mute it all together.
    If you want to keep sound too, you will need some sort of device to displace the wind, like those foam ends you see television presenters using.

What is the model of the two cameras? are they DCR or DVR 810 and 910??

I would imagine the 810 was made before the 910. that makes sense in my understanding of Vivitar's naming practices.

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

I've just looked up the spec's for both types of camcorder, and at first, my theory looked correct.

The 810 states it can only handle 4GB SD cards, which makes me believe it is not SDHC compatible. There is also no firmware upgrade available to allow the change to SDHC.

However, the 910 on the Vivitar website then states it can take up to 8GB SD cards, which is impossible as they do not, and can not exist in an SD format! they MUST be SDHC!

Then, on another sales website, they say it can take up to 32GB SD cards!

I know its probably just an oversight, but these people are supposed to know what they are talking about...

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

This make sense thanks Mrdarn. Their manuals should be more easy to read.

Osc
    Administrator Help2Go Administrator Osc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi folks,

Sorry to jump in, but as I was reading the thread (and MrDarn was right on everything he said) I noticed something else:

Data Rate 1210 vs Data Rate 1809 kbps

If I'm right, that is referring to how much storage is being used for each second of video. The more storage that is used, that means that less compression is used, and therefore a better picture.
    When you encode video to h.264 or the other video codecs, you can specify exactly how much data to use for each second of video - that lets you tweak how good the picture is vs. how much storage is used. Part of the problem you've experienced (but not all - I still agree with MrDarn) may be that the DCR910 is using a higher compression value. You may be able to change that in the settings - I'm not sure.
    Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go

My mistake it's a DVR 910HD, I used it tonight and the video was not worth saving. It was not at all clear and it has 4Xzoom I zoom it to 1.85 and it distorted the picture so I hate to see what the full zoom would of done. I had it set for cloudy, fine ISO-200, HD 1280-720, when I downloaded to computer prop. were: Frame Rate 19 Frames/second; Data Rate 337 kbps ; total bitrate 690.
    Also I set it for cloudy then I used the EV + to No. 3 Maybe to much light and it distorted the picture.
    Last edited by Machine; 10-20-2010 at 01:30 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast