Default help me get rid of mice

got mice,

how do i get rid of them without killing them ??

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is a strange subject for the site, but I'll share my experience.

We live in a rural area, and when we came here 17 years ago, we suffered from mice in the house. At the insistence of my wife, we started with a humane trap, but seemed to be catching the same one each time, even after releasing it a couple of Kms away! We then changed to the spring bar type that killed instantly, and things got better. The later addition of 2 cats meant we could get rid of the traps and have been mouse free ever since - apart from the ones brought in for sport or a snack!!

The problem with a mouse infestation is that they multiply much faster than you can get rid of them, and as much as you find it abhorrent, trapping or poisoning is the only way to be sure. I once read that for every mouse you see, there are another 10 you don't!
    Last edited by arraknid; 01-26-2011 at 02:30 PM.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I'll go along with arraknid's advice. In addition, some types of mice (maybe all) can carry disease (Hanta virus comes to mind, I think mainly in the US).

I agree with the gentlemen above, but, if you can't get a cat get they do make live mouse traps as arraknid points out.

Once you get rid of the mice you'll have to mice proof your house. A mouse can squeeze into an opening as small as 1/4 of an inch. Seal all open or crevices with steel wool or caulking and place Hardware clothe (wire mesh) over any vents on the outside of your home such as the dryer vent, etc. If you live near a field or in the country, keep all the tall weeds and grasses mowed, especially along side the house, and remove piles of leaves, garbage and wood piles near or around the house that they use as possible nesting places. This is the prime source of bedding for the little critters. Old stacks of newspapers as well. Also place barn tin around the foundation of your house.

Keep food cleaned up within the house and place your packaged foods (boxes, plastic bags, etc.) high on a shelf within the cupboard and the tinned cans and container foods on the lower shelves.

apart from the ones brought in for sport or a snack!!
    eww! We have occasional visitors, but not since Jasmine has matured to Queen mouse catcher. She's even teaching the boys how much fun it is to catch mice!
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Donnab,

The user is from NYC. No tall grasses or fields around for miles. Let alone Barn tin! Plus he's dealing with city mice! Not East Central, IL. mice. It's a high tech city where a high Tech Mouse trap should be employed. See below.

Once itís done, the RADAR trap is smart enough to send you a text message and congratulate you that the mission is completed.

Rentokilís RADAR mousetrap goes high-tech, texts you once the mission is completed!

Bought this many years ago after using for about a few months no more rats,haven't had to use since.
    using poisons or gas are not humane nor safe when they end up in your walls and slowly rot. This will kill in about a scecond.

www.ratzapper.org
    Last edited by pooka; 01-27-2011 at 04:43 PM.

we used a big glass bucket sank into the ground at an angle.

Place food in the bottom, and they end up sliding down into is and not being able to get out again.

I forget what the origional use for the bucket was, but it proved effective.

Now, we have patio steps with a specially made hole under it with an entrance to the side.
    It holds a family of at least 7 mice at the moment, and a bird feeder above the entrance provides plenty of food from the scraps.
    We've never had a mouse problem since, funnily enough!
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7