Lightbulb 11 year old mediocre programmer

Hello all,
    I am an 11-year old kid and have been programming for 4 years. I recently switched to Visual Basic to program C++ programs, but as I browsed the Internet, I found that people thought Visual Basic would teach horrible habits. I really do not see why this is such a big problem. What do these people mean by "bad habits", and what other resources could I use to improve my skill? Thanks!
    P.S. I'm more heading in the direction of video game and OS programming. Complex-like stuff. I've already started into learning about boot sectors and hardware topics, and have also delved into C++ for OS's and video games.

If you really are just 11 and this advanced, I recommend you talk to your parents and get with your school counselors and see what opportunities there are for you. While you can certainly focus on those narrow points of your current interests, the best path for you is to learn the fundamentals to set you up for a lucrative career in the computer sciences, as well as the business management knowledge you will need to be the boss of your own successful software company.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Digerati For This Useful Post:

Osc
    Administrator Help2Go Administrator Osc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi there!

I'm a programmer myself, and I agree that VB can teach you bad habits. Bad habits means that you;re not learning how to structure your programs in an object-oriented way, with good reuse of code. However, since you are still only 11, ANY programming experience is good experience.

I would suggest you try learning programming for mobile devices. There are many books available to learn Java for Android programming, and Java is an excellent language that will teach you good habits and the basics you need to be a pro. Plus, if you get good at it, you can release your games into the Android market and get feedback from people who actually play your games. It's not easy, but by learning to use Eclipse and the Android SDK now, you will be VERY well prepared to be a future programming star.
    Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Osc For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
    If you really are just 11 and this advanced, I recommend you talk to your parents and get with your school counselors and see what opportunities there are for you. While you can certainly focus on those narrow points of your current interests, the best path for you is to learn the fundamentals to set you up for a lucrative career in the computer sciences, as well as the business management knowledge you will need to be the boss of your own successful software company.
    Thanks! I'll try it out and see what I can do. I've also looked into John Hopkins beginner C programming courses, but these are for 8th graders and high schoolers. I guess nobody expects an 11-year old to be able to program in C++!

Quote Originally Posted by Osc View Post
    Hi there!

I'm a programmer myself, and I agree that VB can teach you bad habits. Bad habits means that you;re not learning how to structure your programs in an object-oriented way, with good reuse of code. However, since you are still only 11, ANY programming experience is good experience.

I would suggest you try learning programming for mobile devices. There are many books available to learn Java for Android programming, and Java is an excellent language that will teach you good habits and the basics you need to be a pro. Plus, if you get good at it, you can release your games into the Android market and get feedback from people who actually play your games. It's not easy, but by learning to use Eclipse and the Android SDK now, you will be VERY well prepared to be a future programming star.
    I've tried learning Java, but it seems very much like C or C++. And I still don't get Visual Basic's "bad habits" thing. (I'm really only using it to compile code right now, I'm not getting into all the advanced stuff yet.)

I guess nobody expects an 11-year old to be able to program in C++!
    That's very true - but not an impossible obstacle. Good luck.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!
    MS MVP, 2007 - 2018
    ─────────────────────