Blog Entries

Question Lock PC with USB Drive

Lock PC with USB Drive

What do you think?
    I have no info if it has spyware etc....seems functional for certain users and families...room mates etc

Predator Locks and Unlocks Your PC with a USB Thumb Drive | PREDATOR

Predator makes locking and unlocking your PC a breeze. You do it with a USB drive. During installation, you designate a drive to serve as your key. Insert it while working. Take it with you when you step away. Pulling it out locks the computer.
    Plug it back in to log in. Normally, no password is needed. If you misplace the drive, enter your password to get back in. An alarm will sound if someone enters an incorrect password three times. And it will log any attempts to access the PC while you’re away. You’ll know if and when someone was trying to snoop.
    Cost: Free
    Link: www.montpellier-informatique.com
    System: Windows XP, Vista and 7
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good idea, but unfortunately, as the program starts with Windows, it can be bypassed easily by starting in Safe Mode, a problem with all such software, like parental control programs. You could block the Admin account with a strong password, but the makers don't point that out, and very few users do so as a matter of course - or even know how!

And if the person trying to access the system knows the Windows password in the first place, it's useless, as most users will be using an Admin account.
    Last edited by arraknid; 06-05-2011 at 08:21 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to arraknid For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

arraknid

Thanks for the feed back...I always look forward to your posts and have learned much from them too...tks again...mike (abs)
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer