Found this neat guide to tweaking Firefox :

TweakGuides.com - Firefox Tweak Guide
    Today is the dawn of another error ...

Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.4GHz;
    RAM 8.0 GB;
    Windows 7 Home Prem SP1 64 bit
    Firefox; IE11

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Thanks for this Steph, however I'm a little puzzled. It talks about Firefox 9, according to my version I have 7 and it's up-to-date. I tried downloading from their link, it downloaded to my desktop and then dissappeared???

Can anyone explain this ??

WOW Canuck, that is weird. I could find nothing on that issue. You may have to uninstall then reinstall Firefox 9.

Currently, I have 9.0.1 installed after a relentless battle with the update nagging me to do so and it updated from version 8.0.something....

Hm...I wonder?

Go to Tools > Options > Advanced > Update and make sure that there are checkmarks in all the boxes under Automatically check for updates to:

Not sure if that will make a difference but it's a shot in the dark! There's other settings in there as well you may want to check on.

Could this be a server problem and the download doesn't complete? I'd wait and try it again to see what happens.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Thanks Donna,
    Have tried uninstalling 7 by Add/Remove, going to Mozilla file in Program Files and also using the Microsoft removal program to no avail. However, what I did find was a site with posts from this month and all were complaining about 9 and reverting to 7 (8 I also understand was no better). Firefox 7 download - Mozilla Firefox 7.0.1 final version free download so, for now I'll stay with 7 (perhaps Mozilla isn't allowing 9 to be downloaded due to the problems?).

You're welcome Canuck. Sounds like to me that Firefox is trying to save you from disaster by not wanting to uninstall. Staying with what you've got is a good idea.

To be completely honest, I've had nothing but trouble since the update from vs 3.6.27!?!?! (Think that's the version I loved the most.) Steph and I discussed that a while back I believe.

When I updated from vs 5 to vs 7 all the favicons on the links in my favorites bar looked like this-->

When I updated to vs 8 a few did correct themselves yet not all of them. And it seemed ok otherwise.

When I updated to vs 9 Firefox lost all ability to save user names and passwords on every site I ventured to. More of my favicons came back and my home page was changed even though it had not changed in my settings. Still trying to figure that one out. What a pain! Might have to revert backwards myself if I can't get my home/start page corrected.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaB View Post

To be completely honest, I've had nothing but trouble since the update from vs 3.6.27!?!?! (Think that's the version I loved the most.) Steph and I discussed that a while back I believe.
    I was just thinking of that as I started to read the replies to this thread. As it happens, I'm still using v.3.6.25 because updating at the time caused all sorts of problems with my add-ons (can you remember which version it was Donna? I can't find the thread right now).

Right now I'm being prompted to update to v. 9.0.1. So, given the problems reported, what's the general advice - update to v.7 or stick with 3.6.25?

Thanks
    Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Off the top of my head Steph, I'd say .. stay with what you're most comfortable with, with one previso .. perhaps v7 is more secure than 3 .. perhaps someone can enlighten us on that point.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Canuck For This Useful Post:

Steph,

Is this the thread where we were discussing Firefox versions? I remember I had trouble with my add-ons when I updated from 3.6.20 to think it was vs 5 because I heard so many were having trouble with vs 4.

Not long after that an acquaintance introduced me to the Add-on Compatibility Reporter which works well.

How about that! An add-on to make your add-ons compatible!

As for vs 7 being more secure then vs 3, I'd say it is, but found this:

Previous maintained version

The previous version of Firefox still being maintained with security and stability updates is Firefox 3.6.x, currently available from Mozilla Firefox 3.6
    Though in order to get the updates you do have to go to the site for the updates for Version 3.6.x.

Old version

Starting with the release of Firefox 5, the previous released version (e.g., Firefox 4) is no longer maintained and becomes obsolete. Since the release of Firefox 6, Firefox 5 is also no longer maintained; with the release of Firefox 7, Firefox 6 becomes obsolete, and so on. Although you can still download these old, obsolete Firefox versions, they contain security vulnerabilities and are unsafe browsers.
    The above info found here. Must be and outdated article. They don't mention versions 8 or 9.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

So sorry for the delay in replying guys and thanks for your responses.

Yes, that was the thread Donna, thanks for pulling it up.

I'm now being offered 3.6.26 so will update to that and hope that none of my add-ons disappear. The Add-on Compatability Reporter looks interesting and is supposed to work from v. 3.7 onwards although the article reported difficulties downloading with 3.7. From your link Donna it seems that 3.6 is still being supported so will stick with that until I've investigated 7 a bit more. If I wanted to update to 7 could I do straight from 3.6.x or would I have to go through the intermediate versions first?

I must say I'm rather confused with the way FF hops around offering different version numbers though, last time it was 9.01, before that it was 5 and now back to 3.6x!

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Hi Steph,

You should be able to upgrade right over Firefox 3.6. I'll look into that further for you to make sure, but if you are comfortable with 3.6 version and it is still supported, by all means keep it. I've come across threads though where experts in the field of malware removal suggest that the user is "outdated" and they should upgrade.

The other day when logging into my laptop and bringing up Firefox I was offered to update to Firefox version 10.0!!!! Geesh! What is with Mozilla? Starting to wonder if they know what they are doing myself.

I'm still at version 9.0.1 with no issues except for a few favicons that are blank. I can deal with that for now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast