Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Reliable email alternative to Gmail

So, I'm really fed up with Gmails' so-called "improvements" and would like to limit intrusion and use of my information and increase privacy generally.

I'm looking for a (free) web-based service that is secure, reliable and takes user privacy seriously - anyone have any ideas or suggestions or experience of good alternatives?

Thanks
    Steph
    Today is the dawn of another error ...

Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.4GHz;
    RAM 8.0 GB;
    Windows 7 Home Prem SP1 64 bit
    Firefox; IE11

Hi Steph,

Top 7 Gmail Alternatives for 2011

I just use a simple E-Mail like yahoo. I have no experience in the ones shown in the link except yahoo.

Joe..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zep516 For This Useful Post:

Thanks very much for that zep, I'm looking at the reviews for these.

Bigstring looks interesting but not sure how reliable it is from the reviews although you get what you pay for I suppose and I did ask for free! Another one is Hushmail (think I came across this one some years back actually but then encryption was only between hushmail users, not sure if that's still the case). Think I'll try some out and see how they perform.

Any comments about experiences with suitable services much appreciated.

Thanks
    Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

You're welcome Steph I'm not much of an E-Mail user, I use a simple yahoo mail address just basically to send and receive mails. Hope something works there for you.

Joe.

Awhile back I was frustrated with my Yahoo email service bombarding me with spam and infected attachments. Arraknid stated that the best /safest client is your ISP provider. For me that would be Wildblue. I have since used that as my priority email service with no issues though I still use Yahoo for a secondary client for my trivia, social sites, majority of personal friends who like to send stupid emails that guarantee a fortune is awaiting you if you forward to 10 friends, etc. But my important emails from forums, etc. are all sent to my ISP Wildblue acct.

Just had to add my 2 cents.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Hi Donna, thanks for your thoughts on this. I also use my ISP email for the important / secure stuff but I'm really looking for a secure web-based service mainly for when I'm away (and also for those friends who insist on open copying everyone in their contacts list with daft emails of dubious provenance!) And I'd like a bit more privacy too, Google's getting a bit Big Brother-ish for my liking

Anyway, I'm going to try out a couple to see how they perform - I'll report back if they seem any good.

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

OK, I've been trying hushmail, free version. Very simple, layout very similar to hotmail. Nothing fancy, good if you just want to send basic email and attachments. It automatically encrypts between hushmail users and also allows encryption (if you choose to use it) on a message by message basis between hushmail and other email clients (the recipient has to set up a passphrase to open up the encrypted hushmail email). Useful feature if you want to send something private. Otherwise email just goes as normal.

It's free, so you have to log in once every 3 weeks. No private info is held, no ads, no sharing between contacts. So far every email I've sent has arrived so seems to be a reasonable, web based alternative to ISP. There is a premium paid version available which provides more features and does away with the requirement to log in every 3 weeks.

More info :

Hushmail Free Email with Privacy

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Blog Entries

Steph

May be not for you but I use Thunderbird (Linux open source) as a client (looks a lot like Outlook Express and is very user friendly and secure)

I have several email addys that must go through T-Bird to access my computer

There is a junk no junk option on all emails (I have 5 different addys) in T-Bird

I allow the emails to remain on the server...so that I can still access each email account if necessary to find a lost email...just me...not the best way
    Probably better to allow the emails to be removed from the sever after a prudent amount of time

Works well for me

BTW: if I lose an email I go to Live mail to find all my emails (5 Addys)...they too are all in Live mail
    (I seldom use live mail...I only use it to store all emails as a safety net)
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Blog Entries

I understand people liking web based emails...but who knows what they are viewing/seeing
    (Hushmail (they say privacy)... and ask for a password...but I am cynical about what they can view)
    But, I still can not give a valid/honest opinion of Hushmail

What are you going to do?....you use the Internet as best you can....we can not do without it today
    Hushmail could be your answer too

I like running my mail through T-Bird...but I am not sure ...JMHO
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Hi abseh, I agree, it's difficult to know just how secure they are.

Hushmail seemed to be a reasonable solution for when I needed a web-based service and although it's pretty much no frills the security seemed good so I opened two accounts. I just tested one out by sending a couple of encrypted emails to another email address I have and that was the only activity - and within 2 hours of setting it up, I had four junk emails!! The other one hasn't received any junk - yet. So maybe not as "secure" as they like to claim. Bit disappointing really.

I'll check out Thunderbird, thanks for the suggestion.

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast