Blog Entries

Default MS Critical Updates

Yesterday I picked up my laptop to do some browsing only to find that I could not connect IE or Firefox to my router and Chrome just would not load at all. After a bit of checking I noticed that an MS critical update had been installed. I took the laptop back to the restore point before the critical update and all is well again. This leaves me wondering just how critical the update is. The plethora of techno babble that passes as explanations does not help either. Any thoughts?
    A little help is worth a ton of sympathy.

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Good info to have, could you give us the update reference number .. we can check to see if others are having the same results.

Blog Entries

I wish I could. There are 2 critical updates listed for 3/21/2012 in the Restore section but the last update listed in the updates list is dated 3/18/2012. Advice on how to check the updates in Windows 7 would be appreciated, particularly the update reference.

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge

Hm. Since a Restore was performed the updates that were uninstalled due to the restore wouldn't be listed in View Update History would they? I've never had to uninstall any updates before so I'm not sure my thinking is on track here.

Wouldn't we need to see the 2 critical updates listed for 3/21/2012 in the Restore section? I'm sure in due time they will show back up in Windows Updates within the Control Panel.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

The updates will still be on the PC, most likely in the last restore file, whether Win Update will 'see' them I don't know. I suppose you could do a manual update (so long as you don't do an install) and note which ones they recommend to install.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Canuck For This Useful Post:

I suppose you could do a manual update (so long as you don't do an install) and note which ones they recommend to install.
    Gee Canuck! I never thought of that! He could go to Update Settings and choose the option to Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them that way they could be researched as you stated above.

I'd like to know if they would be offered again.

Hm....I feel the desire for an experiment coming on!
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Blog Entries

Thanks for all your advice. I found the information in Review Update History. Entries for 3/21/2012 are 1.123.62.0 (twice for some reason) and 1.123.5.0. Whether the problem was down to either of these I don't know but System Restore sorted things out.

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge

Those seem to be associated with an MSE Update issue that was recently attended to. From the link below it appears the issue has been corrected.

Virus and spyware definitions: 1.123.62.0 can not get passed this

Couldn't find anything that related to connectivity issues though to compare with.

Blog Entries

Thanks Donna. I'll leave things alone I think. If it ain't broke . . .

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge