Thread: Activation code

Default Activation code

Please excuse me if I have come to the wrong place, I read the heading, 'the place to discuss anything & everything' & I assume this is appropriate, please excuse me if it isn't. I have a 'Microsoft Office Home & Student' programme which I need to re-install, the problem is I've lost the product/activation key. I've contacted Microsoft who said they couldn't help me but advised me to contact the people that built the computer for me, I did this but they equally said they couldn't help. I've now got a disc that I can't use, and I know its my own stupid fault for being careless with the key but, is there anything I can do?

Also, could I be excused for asking an awkward question? 'Help2go' is an awsome site & I need to give credit where credit is due, if it wasn't for you guys at 'help2go', I (and many other people) would be totally lost. The service you provide is fantastic, very professional, and all of you excersize a lot of patience & understanding, especially with dorks like me, my awkward (but hopefully not innapropriate) question is - how do you manage to initiate, run, and manage the service without cost? Because I've never been asked to pay for help. But really, really thank you for such a valuable service.

Hi there unfortunately when it comes to product keys etc. all we can do is suggest contacting MS or the people that sold it to you.

As for costs, would have to let Osc answer those questions All helpers here volunteer their time, there's a couple ads on the home page, and there is a donation option, other than that though Osc pretty much carries the burden.
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mich For This Useful Post:

However... if you still have the product installed somewhere, you *can* use a program to see the key of the installed software, but if its uninstalled, its no good.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MrDarn For This Useful Post:

Hi Number7,

When the computer was built for you were you given the case the installation disk came in? If so the code should be on the back of the flip out tray that the disk is mounted on. Please check to see if it is there. You may also be able to find a solution in one of the following links:

Lost my Product Key Code - Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007

How to replace a lost or damaged Microsoft Office product key

How do I replace my product key?

If this doesn't help you may have to contact MS Support as Mich suggests and there may be a cost involved.

Mr Darn suggested:

if you still have the product installed somewhere, you *can* use a program to see the key of the installed software, but if its uninstalled, its no good.
    If I am not mistaken you can install Microsoft Office Home & Student on up to three computers. If you did install the same program from that disk onto another computer you can use Belarc Advisor to retrieve the product key from that other computer or even try The Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder.

Unfortunately when the HD on your computer was reformatted everything was lost.

Please keep us informed to the outcome.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

MrDarn, DonnaB, and all you guys at 'help2go'....THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I downloaded 'Belarc advisor' as you advised & immediately retrieved my lost Microsoft product key.....thank you, thank you, thank you so much, You guys are a treasure trove of information.......I cannot thank you enough. Oh to live in the states so I could find all of you & buy you a drink!! A BIG THANK YOU from me in little England.

Yeaaa! Success! You're welcome Number7.

I downloaded 'Belarc advisor' as you advised & immediately retrieved my lost Microsoft product key
    Ok. I just have to know. Had you installed Microsoft Office Home & Student onto another computer? The HD on the computer I helped you with should have been totally nuked of all info.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Yeah Donna that's correct, I had Microsoft Office installed on another system but hey...I downloaded Belarc, and the programme found the key in seconds...I mean SECONDS!! Thank you again so much.....God bless you & God bless help2go!!

That is too !

I'm so glad everything is comfortably falling into place for you. It's always a pleasure to help those who are appreciative.

Anytime you need us, we're only a click away!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

No problem at all #7! (ps, i'm a geordie )
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MrDarn For This Useful Post:

Hi MrDarn....you're a geordie.....ooops....sorry....I assumed you were in the states...sorry......didn't read the 'location' bit...... but thank you again.