Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8

Blog Entries

Default Windows 8

I had my first brush with Windows 8 yesterday. A good friend rang me in despair as she had bought a new Toshiba laptop which came with Windows 8 and she was totally bamboozled by the whole thing. Fortunately I was able to sort out her problems after a couple of hours wrestling with the beast. My impression was not so much information overload as applications overload. Why don't these software producers offer us a SIMPLE, BASIC opening screen on first use with options to install applications from a list? As it was I found it like trying to find our small village on a map of the world. I would have liked more time to investigate the system further. Anyone else got any comments?
    A little help is worth a ton of sympathy.

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge

Might be the operating system to skip an wait.....

Joe

Blog Entries

Not trying to be argumentative...I have used Win 8 exclusively for 7 months

Skipping this new OS may leave catching up to (I.E.) Win 9 slower than say say Win XP, - to Win7
    We wanted new and that is what is going on now

Yes, the attempt to make a tablet and desktop work is different, but it is easily done within a few hours of use
    You can even get to enjoy the sync and other features of Win 8

Don't let the Windows 8 haters brainwash you:
    Microsoft actually introduced a few great features in its new operating system, some of which will help keep you safer from malware and other security threats.

Though most of these security enhancements are active by default, you still must be proactive to get the most from them. Also, one new Windows 8 feature presents specific security concerns that must be addressed to keep your PC—and your data—as safe as possible. Let's jump in and investigate.

Buy a new PC instead of upgrading...because a new computer is an advanced system too
    (of course do not run out and buy...but as time marches so goes technology too)

To take full advantage of Windows 8’s new security features, your PC needs to run a new kind of boot system called Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI). This system, which replaces the archaic Basic Input/Output System (BIOS), adds many new boot features and greatly speeds the startup process.

Included in UEFI is a feature, called Secure Boot, that helps prevent unauthorized operating systems and malware from running at startup. This makes it more difficult for data thieves to use bootable discs or flash drives to access your files; it also helps keep rootkits—a form of malware that's hard to detect—from infecting your computer during bootup.

Some PC vendors included UEFI on select systems in the past, but Secure Boot requires a new version, specifically UEFI revision 2.3.1. So if your system originally came with Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7, it likely doesn't include UEFI. And if it does include UEFI, it’s probably an earlier version that doesn't support Secure Boot.

Though some PC and motherboard vendors offer upgrades to UEFI, you might want to consider buying a new PC or board that's designed for Windows 8, as such hardware must include UEFI and have Secure Boot enabled by default.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Blog Entries

Simply put you can move the desktop Icon in the start (metro) menu to the left top corner of the Start screen

Then when Win 8 boots ...just tap Enter and you are @ the desktop and have Win 7 on steroids

If for some reason you want the Start menu again...simply tap the Windows key and switch back and forth
    ======================================
    The Windows 8 Start screen beats the Start button

Longtime Windows users have become attached to the familiar Start button in the corner of the Windows desktop. The knee-jerk reaction of many Windows 8 newbies is to find a third-party add-on to restore the Start button. (My favorite free add-on for reverting to the old-style Windows interface is Classic Shell.)

In fact, the Start screen is an improvement over the Start button. For one thing, you don't have to click anything: just start typing to find and open a program, file, or setting. (If you're on the desktop, press the Windows key and then start typing.)

Much has been made of the multiple clicks required just to shut down your machine. Several experts suggest adding a shutdown shortcut to the desktop or taskbar. Don't bother.

To shut down from the Start screen, press Windows-I, click Power, and choose "Shut down" (or Sleep or Restart). Even faster, press Windows-D to open the desktop (if necessary), press Alt-F4 (you may need to hold down the Fn key while you do so), and press Enter to shut down. The other options on the shut-down menu are Switch user, Sign out, Sleep, and Restart.
    Credits: More info
    Debunking five Windows 8 myths | How To - CNET
    Last edited by abseh1; 02-25-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Blog Entries

Wow. Thanks abseh1. I take your points and have tried to follow your arguments. The problem is as I see it old buddy that those who produce these systems do not make enough allowance for us idiots. An OBVIOUS, EASY TO FIND AND SIMPLE TO READ file on how to do what would be more beneficial to us grey heads than expounding the merits of the system. Let's go back 30-40 years when I started out and was told that most IT users do not know what they want let alone understand the plethora of jargonistic gobblygook that the majority of software manufacturers offer. Really appreciate your input.

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge

Blog Entries

Below is a correction...should read bottom left corner of Win 8 desktop area and right click
    ========================================================
    Simply put you can move the desktop Icon in the start (metro) menu to the right top corner of the Start screen is incorrect

Should have posted bottom left area of the Win 8 desktop area where START use to be located in Win 7 eetc

(I had a senior moment, or maybe, I am becoming a bit dyslectic or I need to quit looking at myself in the mirror)

Then when Win 8 boots ...just tap Enter and you are @ the desktop and have Win 7 on steroids

If for some reason you want the Start menu again...simply tap the Windows key and switch back and forth
    Last edited by abseh1; 02-25-2013 at 12:19 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reddogleader View Post
    Wow. Thanks abseh1. I take your points and have tried to follow your arguments. The problem is as I see it old buddy that those who produce these systems do not make enough allowance for us idiots. An OBVIOUS, EASY TO FIND AND SIMPLE TO READ file on how to do what would be more beneficial to us grey heads than expounding the merits of the system. Let's go back 30-40 years when I started out and was told that most IT users do not know what they want let alone understand the plethora of jargonistic gobblygook that the majority of software manufacturers offer. Really appreciate your input.
    reddogleader

Your welcome

I am a fan of Win 8 obviously it is different and confusing @ first glance

I do see why some are confused and unhappy Win 8 .. but it is a very good OS... IMHO

Windows 8 is really hard to get used to. Really, really hard.

Don't get me wrong, even when when you're running through the install process, Windows 8 looks absolutely fabulous.

Never before has so much elegance been wrought from such basic use of color and typography. It's beautiful from the get-go.

But when you get to the Start screen -- well, it's really that where it starts to fall apart for people.

I started using Windows 8 full-time in Oct 2012, just under 7 months ago.

Soon after starting I complained (like many) in a particularly harsh manner about what I thought of it.

Over the weeks and months that followed, I grew to really enjoy using Windows 8 and -- in all honesty -- regretted being quite so harsh.

Blog Entries

No one ever likes the new versions of Windows when they're released, and business never buy them for years.

Windows 8 will be judged in 2018, not 2013.

So that's my advice really. If you're new to Windows 8, don't give in to the haters.

Sit back, relax, and in a few weeks I'm sure you'll be loving the whole Windows 8 groove. And definitely, definitely don't downgrade if you buy a new machine with Windows 8 per-installed.... You'll be missing out on a fantastic operating system.

On last point...it will be harder to go to the next Win OS if one skips Win 8 OS... it is the future

Previously, I never understood why one had to go to a Start menu to shutdown any way....now that was really dumb

Just look at Win 8 Start (metro) as the start menu...you do not need to stay there if you are a desktop user...simply click enter and you are @ the Desktop...(make sure the Desktop tile is in the top left corner of the Start menu)...have fun...abs

If you have a favorite other than the Desktop...put it in the top left corner of the start menu and tap enter
    (any tile there will open with the tap of the enter key)

Some use MS office for example in lieu of the Desktop tile...Office will open in the Desktop anyway...so it is the end-user's preference
    Last edited by abseh1; 02-25-2013 at 09:02 AM.

Blog Entries

Fair comment abseh1. I am still with Windows 7 but my wife's friend sees me as some sort of guru who can sort out technology (including her cell phone!!) with no trouble. Pride and the chance to look at Windows 8 prevented me from refusing help. Fortunately I was able to sort out her problem but the advancing technology is leaving this old stumblebum behind. Thanks for your contribution. The only way to learn painlessly is to listen to those who know.

Dell Inspiron
    Windows 10
    Edge

Blog Entries

reddogleader

One old man to another....you have one up on me

I can build a modern day computer....but I can not run a smart phone....abs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast