Default RANT! The new Firefox... (v.26.0)

What a total disaster! Why oh why couldnt Mozilla just leave things alone. Gone, the Download Manager that allowed the user to decide where to put downloads. You cant download to the Desktop anymore, all downloads go to a download folder on the FF page. Meaning that in order to retrieve these downloads one must have FF selected and running. Makes a complete mockery of the instruction ´Download to your desktop´given in all the forum solutions to problems.
    One has to ask why they have done this... it seems also that Mozilla studiously avoid the question about rolling back to an earlier version. Seems to me its all been downhill since FF3.1 with this formerly good browser becoming heavier and more clunky with every new version.
    I dont want to revert to using IE, or Opera or Chrome. I just want to be able to decide for myself just where I download to...

And another thing... my telephone company Movistar otherwise known as Telefonica Espana uses a Javascript program to test the upload and download speeds of its national ADSL service... Mozilla aka FF however are of the opinion that any program using Javascript is up to no good and blocks it. No less than 3 selections of 'Allow' for this service are required before FF gives up and somwhat releuctantly allows it to take place.

John
    Last edited by whitenoiz; 12-27-2013 at 07:02 PM.

OMGoodness! I feel your pain! Last time I was satisfied with FF was when it was at 3.(something) then they started with rapid update releases and it seems that every other week there is another update. As soon as update 25 came out my homepage is a mess. It used to be that my FF browser would open up with my email clients now I can't get them to saved into my browser as homepages.

I have no problem with where my down loads go though.

Click on Tools > Options > General tab and under Downloads click on the Browse button to the left of Save files to and navigate to and choose Desktop. Make sure to click Select folder then OK.

Does that direct your downloads to the desktop??
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

quote...

Click on Tools > Options > General tab and under Downloads click on the Browse button to the left of Save files to and navigate to and choose Desktop. Make sure to click Select folder then OK.

This option has been removed in V26.0 Firefox... this is what I was talking about! That oh so useful dropdown box that allowed the user to do what he or she wanted to do has been removed in favour of Mozilla making ALL the decisions... if I could find a way back to FF3.1.x I'd be there in a hurry! Geeks... Nope CONTROL FREAKS!

John

Click on Tools > Options > General tab and under Downloads click on the Browse button to the left of Save files to
    Ooops! My bad! I meant the other left which is actually to the right

This option has been removed in V26.0 Firefox..
    I have FF V26.0 installed and that feature is on mine.

EDIT: Do you have access to your menu bar? Is it displayed at the top left? Right click anywhere in an empty space at the top of your browser an make sure a checkmark is placed to the left of Menu Bar.

I snipped the image below as proof.

Last edited by DonnaB; 12-28-2013 at 08:35 AM.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

quote...EDIT: Do you have access to your menu bar? Is it displayed at the top left? Right click anywhere in an empty space at the top of your browser an make sure a checkmark is placed to the left of Menu Bar.

errr... Oops! Done... some faith restored!
    Thanks Donna.

You're welcome!

Just more proof that sometimes the "other left" is actually right?

And further proof about a bloke's (a man's) attitude to something new...

Buy it, switch it on, then scream, holler, shout and make a prize idiot of himself when it doesnt work as advertised... and then, when all else fails, goes back and READS THE INSTRUCTIONS... then curls up into little ball and rolls under the nearest stone...

Have just downloaded Vista SP2 (to the DESKTOP!). Now back to the original problem as in the Computer Help threads...
    Thanks again Donna.

Just more proof that sometimes the "other left" is actually right
    No. It's on the west side or is it north. Wait what way is north........

K. Mom said it's on the west side of the house, do you know what side that is
    Last edited by zep516; 12-28-2013 at 12:01 PM.