Smile Windows Product Key

**Points to Microsoft** mad: yes, I know my product key is on the back of my computer, but it cannot be read! I also know that it is with the documents I have hidden away from myself, and again, cannot be found to be read. I also know that I can buy another copy of Windows 7, which will have another key. But why would I need to do that since my computer was just bought 3 years ago and the key that can't be read on the back of it IS STILL VALID!!!

Does anyone have any suggestions on where, within my laptop system, that I could find the Windows 7 Product key?

YANK! YANK! YANK! My hair is all coming out!!!!!

Thanks!

Darryl

PS- Life is still good!!!

Donna will know how to do this for you.....

Until she comes to assist, try this below..

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Thanks for your response Joe!

Here is my concern: Microsoft asks you for a "Product Key". This "Product Key" is on a sticker on the back of my laptop. The entirety of this "Key" cannot be read, because of wear. This "Key" starts with "Y8Y27-" and appears to have 4 other similar sections. On the system properties page, linked to the computer window, in Windows Explorer, a number is found that is identified by the name "Product ID". This is the number that MagicalJellyBean finds as "Product ID", which starts out with "00359-OEM-". MagicalJellyBean also finds a number that is identified as "CD Key".

If Microsoft requires one of the two numbers that MagicalJellyBean came up with, then WHY do they use a different term for this number than what they program their computers to call it? Would it not make sense to be consistent with terms when someone is attempting to fix the problems on the computer system that they created?
    Surely, I cannot be the only one who has trouble finding a "Product Key" within the computer system when that "Key" is referred to as "ID" by the system.

And why is the "KEY" on the sticker a different number than the "ID" within the system?

BTW, I have received ZERO response from anyone at Sysnative, after 66 hours, on the issues I'm having.
    Last edited by mrick36; 06-12-2015 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Additional info on referral

Hey Darryl!

Let's see if I can help you make some sense of the Product key vs Product ID.

Product Keys and Product IDs are two completely different things, despite the similarity of the terms.

Major computer manufacturers (HP, ASUS, Dell,etc.) install a Windows image using a special product key that is tied to the motherboard's BIOS. The Certificate of Authenticity (COA) affixed to your computer is there to certify that the Windows operating system is installed.

The 20 character Product *ID* (xxxxx-OEM-xxxxxxx-xxxxx) is created during the installation process and is prominently displayed towards the bottom (in the Activation section) on the opening panel window resulting from right-clicking the Computer icon and selecting "Properties" from the context menu. It is used to obtain/qualify for technical support (limited though that may be) from Microsoft; it is of no use during the installation process.

The 25 character Product *Key* (xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx 5 groups of 5 alpha-numerics) is used to "prove" ownership of a legitimate license and is required to perform the installation, and is either stored on the DVD packaging on a sticker that says "Do not lose this number," or is on a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) label affixed to an OEM computer.

The "real" product ID is stored in the registry but is in a binary format. You can easily create a simple VBscript that will read the value out of the registry and then translate it into the format that you need for reinstalling.

Don't quote me on the above info. I want to look into this more to make sure my thoughts are correct.

To create the VBscript, please do as follows:

Copy and paste the following into Notepad:

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
    Const KeyOffset = 52
    i = 28
    Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
    Do
    Cur = 0
    x = 14
    Do
    Cur = Cur * 256
    Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
    Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
    Cur = Cur Mod 24
    x = x -1
    Loop While x >= 0
    i = i -1
    KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
    If (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then
    i = i -1
    KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutput
    End If
    Loop While i >= 0
    ConvertToKey = KeyOutput
    End Function
    In the upper left of notepad, click on File -> Save As
    Look for Save as type and change to All Files by clicking on the drop down arrow.
    Type in the name productkey.vbs or something similar ending with the vbs extension.
    Save to the desktop for easy access. The icon for this saved VBscript will look like this:

Just double click on the above icon and a little box will popup displaying the product key.

You might find that the product key the script above finds is the same as the one that Magical Jelly Bean keyfinder find since they both access the registry to locate the key.
    Last edited by DonnaB; 06-13-2015 at 12:10 AM.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Here's something interesting! The code the script comes up with IS the same as the MagicalJellyBean "CD Key", but it is NOT the Product Key that is on the COA on the back of the laptop. They are completely different. I just found the "Product Key" in the System Information folder that I put the MagicalJellyBean results in. But here's the funny part: What I named the file that I put the "Product Key" in is MICROSOFT PRODUCT CODE.

I EVEN ADDED TO MY CONFUSION IN FIGURING OUT WHAT THE "PRODUCT KEY" WAS!!!!!!!!!!

ALSO: I got logged out while I was entering my response to your script post!