Default What software do you use for maintenance of your computer

Hello, I am new to this site and looking for an opinion of computer maintenance software.

I currently use System Mechanics for maintenance of my computer

I have been hearing that this is not the best software to use.

Is there another software that helps with the ease of computer maintenance that is safe to use?

Thank you for your input.

Hi Loralee,

Welcome to Help2Go!

I don't know who you heard that from, but it is sound advice. System Mechanic is a registry cleaner. We advise not to use this or any registry cleaner as there have been reports of them clearing out needed registry entries and messing up PCs. In addition, what they do clean up is so small that little or no advantages are noticed.

Modifying registry keys incorrectly can cause Windows instability, or make Windows unbootable. No registry cleaner is completely safe and the potential is ever present to cause more problems than they claim to fix.

Registry cleaners cannot distinguish between good and bad. If you run a registry cleaner, it will delete all those keys which are obsolete and sitting idle; but in reality, those keys may well be needed by some programs or windows at a later time.

Developers of registry cleaners do not have the core code of Windows 7 and Windows 8 and are not working on definitive information, but rather they are going on past knowledge and experience. Automatic cleaners will usually have to do some guesswork.

What software do you use for maintenance of your computer
    What Operating System (OS) do you have installed on your computer?

Personally, all I use is a good Anti-virus (AV) of my choice (Avast free), I have Malwarebytes Anti-malware (free version) installed that I run weekly/monthly depending on how often I use my computer. You can over-stress the HDD by defragging too often so only defrag when needed. Defraggler is my favorite and includes a 'Disk Diagnostics' option to help determine when\if it needs to be defragged.

The Windows Operating System of today is a far cry from the ones of the past. Windows is more robust, HDD's are bigger and better and most computer systems have more and better RAM as well as faster processors. Windows handles temp files much more efficiently and doesn't store as many temp files that aren't needed like it used to. Disk cleaners have their place and are needed on occasion, just not as frequently as they once were needed.

For slow booting computers or just a computer getting slower over time there are many factors involved. Computer components degrade over time. Replacing or upgrading RAM, the cooling fan (you should check for and remove the dust from your cooling vents and fan now and then also, especially if you own pets or have the computer near heating vents) and/or upgrading or replacing your video card are sometimes the best or only options to improve performance. For laptops you can buy a better power cord. More voltage, better performance (65, 90, 120 watts). Depending on what the computer is used for the power cord upgrade may not make a noticeable difference but it is an option. HDD's gradually slow down and eventually die too. Then there are PC Diagnostics Tools you can run to check out/diagnose hardware performance.

Browser add-ons will slow down a browser. The software installed over time adds background processes. And so on...

Some basic maintenance includes uninstalling any software you don't use or need including browser add-ons. I shutdown my laptops daily, for desktops that are left on most of the time, restart the computer every now and then to reduce the running processes that aren't needed (I try to at least once a week) and clear out your RAM. If you are going to be away from the computer for half of the day or more just shut it off so it can cool down. Heat is a big enemy of performance especially on older systems.

Keep up to date with Windows Updates. Besides security patches they include stability and performance fixes.

If your system is not performing\behaving as you think is should, please follow the instructions in the following link:

Help2Go Forums - How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

And start a new thread in our Spyware Help forum. We would be more than happy to assist you.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Thank you for answering DonnaB
    There is lots of great information given here. Thank you for spending the time.

I always wondered it I was using two many different software programs and have been using all that you mentioned above. But, looks like I have been doing it correctly for a long time until changing over to Windows 7.
    After reading this, I am pretty sure I am the one who messed it up. I recently had switched to Windows 7 and have used System mechanic for a number of years.
    The above article as to exactly what it could do with Windows 7 is exactly what has happened. The problem is with the registry . I have a trusted computer shop coming to my home hopefully this week to work on the computer. The neighbor and I have used this person for a long time. I hope he does not have to totally re install Windows 7 but I'll will just have to deal with it.

I will not be reinstalling System Mechanic on the computer.

I printed out all this information and will follow your advice with software.

Thank you for your time.

Hi Loralee,

You're very welcome!

Anytime that you have questions or concerns, we here at Help2Go would be more than happy to help in your quest for answers.

As I pointed out above, I would be more than happy to take a look at your computer if you would like to start a thread in the Spyware Removal forum and provide some log scan reports if you would like eliminate the possibility of malware, adware, etc. We are free!

If not, we are here anytime you need us. Do ask you tech guy about the nasty ransomeware that is circulating and if you have some personal files such as pictures, documents, etc. that you just can not live with and do not have backups for, ask him to install CryptoPrevent to protect those files you hold dear to your heart, or you can install it yourself. If you need more info, just ask. The free version must be updated manually though as you can see in the link, they also provide paid versions that update them selves. Great program to have in this day and age.

Have a nice day!

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post: