Thread: Exercise

Default Exercise

I don't know whether this will make an interesting subject or not but here goes:

I like to ride my mountain bike. Does anyone else do any physical excersise and if so, what form does it take? Are you keen on what you do or it a sort of duty because you hear it's supposed to be good for you?

You often hear that taking a sensible amount of excersise is wise but how do you gauge the amount. You're supposed to exert yourself for physical activity to do any good but where to draw the line is the question. There must be a point when that sensible amount of energetic exercise becomes 'overdoing it'.

Do you play it safe and think it best not to do any exercise at all?

mart

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Does moving the mouse count? To answer your question, yes excercise in my opinion is very important, especially for those of us who live fairly sedentry lives. It's finding the motivation that's my problem.

Glyn

Osc
    Administrator Help2Go Administrator Osc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Exactly -- I can never find the time or motivation to exercise. The closest I've gotten is walking my dog every day.

We bought a cross-country ski machine (nordicTrack) a few years ago, alas it gathers dust in the basement. I like exercise to be fun, i.e. roller-blading, bike riding, sports, etc.

There are a lot of variables, age current physical state etc. There are definate dangers there, you have to be careful. Of course the net is a great recource for info on this subject.....hundreds if not thousands of sites giving out advice....many have great online tools where you input age, weight daily calorie intake etc then they calculate a safe regime for you based on your objectives......surf around and see for yourself.

On the point of motivation it helps if you can get one or more friends involved. This is what I do when running. It helps with disipline because you dont want to let each other down so you keep to your agenda to meet up and so on. Also it helps a lot with will power. If I go for a 4 mile run myself I sometimes think I am gonna colapse and die! The same 4 mile run with a friend is a breeze....I guess it's a phycological thing.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

In Australia there is a Government Advertising campaign called "30 a day". 30 being 30 minutes of exercise per day.
    Walking, gardening or any physical activity be it strenuous or passive is fine.
    I'm not sure if walking from the computer to the fridge and back is counted.
    One way to force yourself to walk is have a dog that is persistant enough.
    Guess I am lucky in that respect as there is a park 3 doors down from where I live. The park is a one of the few parks where dogs can run without a leash. We also have a special Doggy beach for free running dogs. Humans get exercise from chasing after their own dogs.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

I agree with the motivation bit. I go out with my brother a few times a week. He's a bit more keen than I am and goes out once a day. When the day is bad, he waits for break in the rain and grabs an hours ride.

I sometimes look out of the window at a grey or cold day and don't fancy leaving my warm house where the computer is running and the chair is comfortable. If I was going to be a lone rider I probably wouldn't bother. However, it has become fixed in stone that we go out together on certain days of the week in all but the worst of weathers. This sort of forces me out of the door, which is a good thing really. At the end of the ride, I always feel better for having taken the exercise.

There used to be quite a few of us greyheads that went out together once a week but most have dropped out for one reason or another. There were three of us that doggedly kept the tradition up but one of our number had a stroke earlier in the year (not on a riding day I should add), so now it's down to just brother and me. We're thinking of running an advertisement for more members to join what we jokingly call, The Over The Hill Off-road Cycling Club. Exercise is more fun when a few people take it together.

I'm definitely into the '30 a day' regime. Cigarettes that is. I bet NOBODY saw that one coming :wink: Be reassured,Osc, you are not alone. My boxes of Nicotine patches are also gathering dust at the moment :roll:
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Exercise is definitely a Plus , but Caution is watch word.

I had a harrowing experience during the Summer Olympics

of 76....I went down to the Government Book Store in

Mentreal and bought a booklet entitled :The BX Plan. That's

what they use to get the military in shape. I got home, stretched

out on the carpet and started the exercises.Sadly enough I ended

up at the doctor's office . His advice was that I should have started with

light jogging and move up to a brisk run..get the body in shape and

then move to the BX plan.

Default Re: Exercise

Quote Originally Posted by mart44
    I don't know whether this will make an interesting subject or not but here goes:

I like to ride my mountain bike. Does anyone else do any physical excersise and if so, what form does it take? Are you keen on what you do or it a sort of duty because you hear it's supposed to be good for you?

You often hear that taking a sensible amount of excersise is wise but how do you gauge the amount. You're supposed to exert yourself for physical activity to do any good but where to draw the line is the question. There must be a point when that sensible amount of energetic exercise becomes 'overdoing it'.

mart
    Hi Mart

The type of exercise you do sounds great to me, swimming would be even better, In my youth I took up Judo- my brother was in Special Forces in Asia during the war -where he started Ju-Jitsu and Judo- so he took me to his club when he left the Forces and I carried on with Contest Judo which I stopped through injuries, I won't even go into talking about my joints now 8O. Do a sport gentle on the joints or , oh forget all this rubbish! do what you want- like I did- go for it, enjoy just do something! Do not take up American Football! when they have re-unions you can hear the steady crunch of knees and elbows as they move about, and like Rugby players non of them can turn their head without the shoulders Pinch of salt; Mart, Cheers Jim.

Default Re: Exercise

Quote Originally Posted by woodcock23
    Quote Originally Posted by mart44

mart
    Hi Mart

The type of exercise you do sounds great to me, swimming would be even better, In my youth I took up Judo- my brother was in Special Forces in Asia during the war -where he started Ju-Jitsu and Judo- so he took me to his club when he left the Forces and I carried on with Contest Judo which I stopped through injuries, I won't even go into talking about my joints now 8O. Do a sport gentle on the joints or , oh forget all this rubbish! do what you want- like I did- go for it, enjoy just do something! Do not take up American Football! when they have re-unions you can hear the steady crunch of knees and elbows as they move about, and like Rugby players non of them can turn their head without the shoulders Pinch of salt; Mart, Cheers Jim.
    Whoops, sorry just realised your hair is as grey as mine Definately do NOT take up American Football Mart :wink: best wishes.Jim