Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Route 66

Default Route 66

Hi,
    We have a neice living in Canada in a town called Amherstburg- all the family are motorcyclists they are planning a run next year to travel whatever is left of the original Route 66- has anyone on the site done this?
    Just checking to see if any good tips are out there regards Jim

No tips - but sounds like a great way to relive your mispent youth :lol:
    Easy Rider eat your heart out
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Jim,

You just jogged the old memory. I don't know if this was true or an urban myth, but when living in Sussex & Kent in the 60's there was this story going around.

It seems there was a café on one of the major drags (M1? A1?) where bikers met. They would put the record "House of the Rising Sun" on, jump on their bikes and did a 'ton-up' to some town, turn around and have to get back to the café before the song finished. Some never made it according to the story.

Does this ring any bells?

A couple of years ago there was a documentry tracing Route 66, stopping in towns that were more or less abandond after the newer highway went in, kind of sad in a way.

Glyn

House of the Rising Sun - Great song ! Animals about 1966, drank many a beers listening to this.

Awe to be young again

Quote Originally Posted by galena1
    No tips - but sounds like a great way to relive your mispent youth :lol:
    Easy Rider eat your heart out
    I hear you galena1! cheers Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck
    Jim,

You just jogged the old memory. I don't know if this was true or an urban myth, but when living in Sussex & Kent in the 60's there was this story going around.

It seems there was a café on one of the major drags (M1? A1?) where bikers met. They would put the record "House of the Rising Sun" on, jump on their bikes and did a 'ton-up' to some town, turn around and have to get back to the café before the song finished. Some never made it according to the story.

Does this ring any bells?

A couple of years ago there was a documentry tracing Route 66, stopping in towns that were more or less abandond after the newer highway went in, kind of sad in a way.

Glyn
    Glyn I will check it out,about the music run.

We used to go to a cafe in 'The smoke' I think it was the Blue Star? Our motorcycle club was "The Saints" Smethwick- we did a run on the M1 on the day it opened, at the time I had a BSA Gold star trials, which at 60 mph almost shook itself apart, well; after all I did have a 4" rear trials tyre! The blokes on the Goldflash and Triumphs did the trip a little quicker! all the trials section of the Club got there later At this time the lads on the big bikes were doing over 100 mph and it was legal, later on I got a Huntmaster 650 Ariel and tried to do 'The Ton' and my bike nearly went onto self destruct at 80mph, I found out a long time afterwards that the bike had sidecar gearing. I have been checking out route 66- lots and lots of links full of info- a lot of the route no longer there an after thought, more oil was put on to the roads of Britain by British motorbikes than any other vehicle, I had lots of motorbikes the only one that never leaked oil were Japanese and BMW and a big 1945 ex American Air Force Harley Davison, terrific when moving but lords sake dont drop it! Cheers Jim. ( I sold my last BMW 650 when I was 63 and then rode a Honda 90- just for a run now and then, packed up the bikes when I was 67)

Quote Originally Posted by Basementgeek
    House of the Rising Sun - Great song ! Animals about 1966, drank many a beers listening to this.

Awe to be young again
    We used to ride out to a Caf'e listen to the same sort of music and eat a special home made Steak and Kidney pie, and endless cups of "Camp Coffee" which came in a bottle, two spoonsful to a cup, it was awful but cheap, I can still taste the pies now. Cheers. Jim.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Last I heard there was a resurging interest in Route 66. Once the main route from Chicago to LA it was superceded by the Interstate Highway System but is now fiannly being recognized as a viable tourist attraction.
    Have a look at http://www.historic66.com/index.html
    and http://www.national66.com/
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

For God's sake knock it off you guys. My poor old rheumy eyes are misting over here. Thinking back to them old days drinking rough cider at 1/8d a pint and partying all night. Now, of course, it's cocoa and an early night :wink: Hey, Jim, I don't know how true this is, but I hear that they are now producing a Harley with Zimmer frame handlebars :P Go enjoy.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

That rough cider was called scrumpy wasn't it? Awful stuff, might as well have been drinking vinegar!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast