Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favourite TV comedy show

I don't know what comedy shows end up being exported around the world. I know many shows from across the water end up here, so maybe 'Bremner Bird and Fortune' has been screened where you are.

This is my favourite comedy show at present. The political satire is brilliant and Rory Bremner mimics politicians so well. The John Bird and John Fortune dialogues and sketches always make me laugh.

I didn't quite catch all of this sketch that was on last week but the gist of it was that a group of intellectual people were sitting around a table discussing voting. Many high-minded reasons were given involving lengthy sentences and lots of very well spoken long words as to why they were going to abstain.

Also sitting at the table was a young bloke (I'll call him Dave ..although it was probably something else) sitting in a relaxed position. Eventually John Bird asked him how he was going to vote. He mumbled that he wouldn't be voting. and when asked why he just simlpy said, "Can't be [bleep!] bothered". The very posh gathering was naturally thoroughly taken aback.

John Bird said that there was only one thing that worried him slightly. This was how the Government going to tell the difference between those at the table not voting because of all the very serious reasons they had given ...and Dave, who just 'can't be [bleep!] bothered'.

True really, both just count as a non-vote regardless of any reasons.

It just grabbed me as funny, along with much of the other content in this weekly show. Anyone else watch them?

What's you favourite show?

We don't get that show aired here. My favorite would be Angel. I used to be a huge Buffy fan also until they ended that show. Other than watching the news and American Football thats the only things I do actually watch on television
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Once upon a time there was good TV now it all seems to be reality shows.
    Actually in a way we are lucky in Aussie land as we get the pick of the best US and UK shows.
    My favorites are My Hero and Rick Mayall's "Beleive Nothing" and Monk
    Oh not forgetting The Office which is being remade for the American Audience.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

How about "Teachers". This comedy is based around a group of teachers in a UK secondary school. The language and antics are definitely 'post-watershed'. The teachers are more childish than the kids, and much like Police Squad(remember Frank Drebbin) there's always lots of funny stuff going on in the backround that could be easy to miss. Just why does that donkey keep appearing?
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

As in Australia, we here in Canada get both US and British comedy, as well as our home grown satirical comedies. There are very few "modern" comedy shows I watch. I feel most have felt it necessary to rely on crudeness to get their laughs. An observation I've made in the past is, a really good comedy comes along, but after a couple of years they start to run short of new ideas, so in order to keep going for a couple more seasons, they start with the crude stuff and it gets worse as time goes by. There were always risqué programs like Benny Hill, Two Ronnies etc, but it was the cleverness in the writing that made them gems to this day, not the overtness.

I agree with Kevin, can't stand the reality shows .. what's real about them anyway?

My favourite of all times, from UK: Darling Buds of May (Catherine Zeeta Jones had a lot to do with that) but Pop Larkin was a lovable rascal, Last of the Summer Wine, any of the programs with Dame Judith Dench, Yes Minister & Prime Minister (the writing was superb)and of course Fawltey Towers. From the US, Mary Tyler Moore Show, Mork & Mindy, Bill Cosby Show & I'll class The Johnny Carson Show as comedy/talk. Of course there are many more I enjoyed, but they all seem to be at least 15 years or more ago.

Mmmmmm see a trend developing here. Older stuff hey. Next thing people will be saying is that most of the modern music is rubbish. Surely not :!:
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

OK modern music is rubbish! :wink:

Osc
    Administrator Help2Go Administrator Osc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've lived in the US all my life, and I must say that most recent American TV is garbage. First the British invasion of game shows (Millionaire, Weakest Link), and then the countless stupid American reality shows. Ugh.

I have my Tivo setup to tape all the Dick van Dyke shows of the 60s, and the Mary Tyler Moore's of the 70s -- both hilarious shows. For pure hilarity, I like "Everybody Loves Raymond" and "Scrubs" -- I hope they get exported out to the rest of the world eventually.

Recently, we've been watching a lot of britcoms, like Fawlty Towers and Coupling. They tried to make an American version of Coupling this year, which failed miserably (bad casting) despite getting hyped mercilessly and getting the prime spot of following Friends. I haven't gotten to watch the Office yet, but it's on my list. Fortunately, we get BBC America.

And for making fun of America's pop culture, nothing beats the Simpsons and South Park. Both are very silly, but very pointed satires.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Raymond and Scrubs is in Australia as is most, including the 200th repeats of the Simpsons.
    Oh for a sit com without a laugh track and that Seinfield induced scene change music.. Like The Larry Sanders Show.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Being a bit of an old soul the hearing ain't what it used to be. Why oh why, in the interest of 'realism', is it necessary to include so much backround sound? Trains, planes, traffic, You name it it's there and, for me, making conversations and plots difficult to follow. Give me the courtroom settings (on TV, of course!) where I can hear every word. Brilliant.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast