Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 4,000 File/Path references errors!!!

Hi Kind advisers,

My computer should be fast (3.06 Pentium 4) but is sluggish. I posted in Spyware forum and waiting for a response for possible spyware.

My question is that I tried several registry cleaner programs (free versions) to see what they turn up on my computer. One called Reg/Cure found 4,000 file/path errors in my registry. Another reg program found similar results. Apparently these are files that are referred to but not actually found on the computer. But, they claim some of these entrys still may be essential to a program.

I don't mind buying the full version to repair my registry but am concerned that some of the 4,000 references may be needed. Two questions for you that are in the know. Would these references slow my machine down and would you recommend removing these references with the paid reg program???

Thank you for your opinions.

Sincerely,

Jerry

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Be aware that some reg cleaners will exaggerate the results to scare the crap out of you, and get you to buy the full product to fix things. 4000 sounds a heck of a lot!!

Try Eusing Free Registry Cleaner 1.8 which will analyse and fix your problems - and it's free!

Download from here http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_...ry_cleaner.htm

Good luck.

The registry 'cleaner' recommended by most of us i believe is 'ccleaner'

this is a free program, and is also a good general syatem cleaner.

i personally dont use any other registry cleaner.

Info at www.ccleaner.com.

For the record, a registry cleaner will do nothing to make your computer faster. Registry cleaners can pooch your system if you don't know what you are doing with them.

I suggest ccleaner for cleaning out the temporary files on a system only.

When your system is slow try a general maintenance/clean up first thing.

Dump temp files, run a full spyware scan, run a full virus scan, clean up the number of programs you have running on boot, and last but definitely not least make sure you have enough ram in your computer
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

Blog Entries

I can only speak from experience and Eusing works well and it's also free. Has anyone here actually tried it?

Thanks for all your input.

I'll try the free recommended cleaner.

Jerry

An expert in the Spyware community wrote this blog about using registry cleaners that I recommend reading:

http://miekiemoes.blogspot.com/2008/...eaking_13.html
    Proud Member of ASAP
    Proud Member of UNITE

Do not ask for my help via pm. Keep it in the forums so all may learn from it.

My help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

Blog Entries

A bit of a negative view in my opinion. Like it or not, there is a need to 'clean' the registry on occasions, and as long as there's a backup option, or a system restore point set, the risks of irreparable corruption are minimal, if not, non-existant.

If you feel you must use a registry cleaner then might I suggest using ERUNT for creating backups of the registry:

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/ERUNT/erunt.html
    Proud Member of ASAP
    Proud Member of UNITE

Do not ask for my help via pm. Keep it in the forums so all may learn from it.

My help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

Blog Entries

Not quite sure why you'd need that. If the reg clean program is any good, it'll have a backup facility built in. Alternatively, you can just use the export option in regedit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast