Default windows service pack 3

i am having problems loading windows live and i have just checked the requirments - and it said you need service pack 2 - i have service pack 3 does anyone think that could be why i am having trouble ???
    if so any idea how i can get around it ???

thanks

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Each Service Pack contains the previous Pack's data plus updates/mods released since then. So if you install SP3, you have SP2 data. SP3 is very new and untried, with numerous reported problems, so my advice would be to go back to SP2 - if you can!

Did you install SP3 as an update? Or did it come preinstalled on a new computer?

If the former, start in Safe Mode, go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, make sure 'Show updates' is ticked, find it in the list and click on uninstall. If you can't find it, use System Restore.

my computer was in the computer hospital getting a new hard drive and came back with SP3 on it , so am i able to go back to 2 ??

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That depends. If they used your original Windows XP Disk to reinstall and then updated with SP3, you should be able to. It's unlikely that they installed Win XP incorporating SP3, because to the best of my knowledge, no such animal exists. The only proviso to that is if they created their own installation disk using a process called slipstreaming, which combines the two.

Do you see 'Windows Service Pack 3' listed in the Add/Remove Programs listing? If you do, continue as I outlined previously, if not, you should take it back and explain the problem.

Be aware that, depending on the age of your computer/installation disk, you may revert the system to a point that either has no service packs installed, or maybe just SP1. In either case you can then install SP2

Unless you are 100% confident of what you are doing, I suggest you take the machine back and ask them to revert the system for you. How old is the machine and does the original installation disk mention Service Pack 1 or 2?