Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need to backup the ENTIRE hard drive

Situation: I have to put my laptop into the repair shop and am told it will be shipped out for the repairs which will take 6 to 8 weeks. Reason for repair is the screen is going out.

My Equipment:
    1) 2004 Fujitsu N series Lifebook running XP Home Edition version 2002 with Service Pack 2, Intel Pentium 4 2.8 GHz processor, 512 RAM, use Trend Micro Internet Security 2008. Have never had a problem with this laptop until the screen began to go out. (Appears to be a short.)

2) A 2007 Maxtor OneTouch III mini edition 120GB external harddrive.

3) 2002 Sony PCV-RX660 VIAO Digital Studio PC Pentium 4 1.8 GHz, 512 RAM. XP Home Edition. Dead for over a year now because I decided to switch from running Trend Micro Internet Security to Panda's internet security program which killed my pc (that was a huge mistake). Had the shop do a data recovery on the system and just haven't done the system restore on it yet (because I had the use of my laptop).

Questions:
    1) Speaking with a shop tech about the repair needed on my laptop, he stated that it may be a possibility that the harddrive will need reformatting. Which makes me go YIKES! So I did a copy and paste of my C and D drives on my laptop to my external Maxtor mini. But I know that only really grabs the data files. So how do I make a COMPLETE copy of my harddrive? Do I use drive imaging or cloning or backup software?
    1a) I want to be able to capture everything on the drive, even my browser's bookmarks and site definitions in Dreamweaver. I've done some research (Ghost, Acronis, ShadowProtect, etc.) and am getting more confused than sure of what to use.
    1b) I also want to be able to store the backup copy on my external drive.

2) Once I make a backup copy, would it be possible to load that onto my Sony desktop PC? I know that when I do the system restore on my Sony that it will take it back to how the PC was when I first purchased it (no other software loaded). So I thought that it would be great to be able to just take the copy of my laptop's harddrive and load it on the Sony so that I still have all of the same programs and settings that I've been using on my laptop. I don't know if this is possible though because I don't know if Sony and Fujitsu configured the XP OS specifically to be used on their hardware or not.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

PS - I have to figure this out this week because I have to put the laptop in the shop next week. The laptop screen works (for now) as long as I shut off the computer before closing the screen.
    Very thankful all of you are here!

Hi webhund

For the cheap route you can follow instructions here to use the windows backup utility. This can only be restore on the system you backed up though.

Imaging is the best idea. There are a lot of programs available to do this. The only one I have used though is Norton Ghost. Creating an image is a pretty easy process with that program.

I wouldn't suggest trying to restore it to your desktop because of the differences in hardware, it might not boot.
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I used the Windows file transfer system only once and never will again. Ghost is now available as Norton Save and Restore 2 which makes it compatible with Vista. It's actually a better program under that guise and the bootable restoration CD is excellent. I use NSR2 every day backing up onto a 500gb external drive and it has saved my life on numerous occasions. Acronis works well too, but I prefer the GUI of NSR2.

Member Help2Go Moderator

There's also imagex which is part of the WinPE bootable disc which is part of the Windows AIK which is free...wow, lots of "which".

Partie

Blog Entries

The NSR2 boot disk is also based on WinPE. Very pretty...looks like Vista.

Know what, with so many 'whiches', all we need is a cauldron!! HeeHee!

OK, I know it isn't spelt like that.

Blog Entries

The NSR2 boot disk is also based on WinPE. Very pretty...looks like Vista.

Know what, with so many 'whiches', all we need is a cauldron!! HeeHee!

OK, I know it isn't spelt like that.

As long as we are making a list, I have used DriveImage XML, another free one available here:
    http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

Charlie

Thanks everyone, I've done some more research based on your suggestions and now I have more questions.

1) I checked out the link you sent and discoverd that my laptop does have the NTBACKUP.MSI file loaded. (My laptop didn't come with the XP disks so I thought I was out of luck.) I did already perform a backup of my laptop using the backup software that came installed on my Maxtor mini external drive, but it's nice to know I have other options. Thanks for that tidbit :-)

2) I checked out the Symantec website and they list Norton Ghost 14.0 and Norton Save and Restore 2.0 as two different products. I'm not sure exactly what all of the differences between the two are, but it appears that the NS&R2 is a backup utility and Ghost is an imaging program. Did I get that right?

3) It also appears that Ghost 14.0 addresses some of the complaints made in reviews of earlier Ghost versions. I'm always leary about buying "just released" versions of anything, so would those of you familiar with Ghost recommend the latest or early version of the program?

4) Both my laptop and desktop are running on XP and it appears that the Windows AIK is for Vista or did I miss something?

5) I believe that I need a drive image program because I already have backup software and I want to make an exact duplicate of my harddrive. That beging said, the reviews I've read so far seem to favor Ghost vs Acronis. Are the free programs you have suggested just as good? I don't mind spending the money if the program is going to be fairly easy to use and do what I want it to do.

I really just wish I could keep my harddrive at home while the laptop is getting the screen fixed. But it wouldn't hurt to have the imaging software because of Murphy's Law.
    Very thankful all of you are here!

Blog Entries

No experience of the latest Ghost, but there were problems with the older version. I've done exactly as you want to do using NSR2 - reformat a hard drive and copy my entire system back to it with no problems. I was up and running from scratch in about 7 hours - it was a large, very full drive!

NSR2 also acts as a better version of Sytem Restore, much as GoBack used to. In the end, it just comes down to trust, there are lots of products that'll do the job, you just got to jump in.

Member Help2Go Moderator

Windows AIK is not just for Vista. The AIK will run on XP and Vista.

Partie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast