Default NTLDR is compressed press ctrl alt delete

Hello all, I have a gateway computer and I was doing a system restore (destructive).
    my computer only allows me to press R for standard gateway system recovery or Q for quit. If I press Q then I get the same thing over and over. NTLDR is compressed press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to restart windows. If I press R for recovery then R again I will get to starting recovery. Then I have the option of selecting: Full system restore or Full system restore w/backup. I have tried both options and they both complete but windows does not start and I am back to NTLDR is compressed.

I cant boot into safe mode... neither do I get any kind of promps to type letters or drive. I dont need to save any previous data if I have to wipe out everything I can. I have also tried reading other post similar to minds but they do not work.
    Please help in any way.

Thanks

Hi Coley

Try reading the instructions here

Hopefully this will fix it for you
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

Thank you.. However I am still having problems b/c I can only boot with my recovery cd/dvd. I then press R and my only choices are optin 1 Full system restore (destructive) Option 2 Full system restore w/backup. there is no command prompt. Also if I do not press the R within 5 seconds it automatically goes to NTLDR is compressed select CTRL+ALT+DELETE.

Thanks

Sorry you've been waiting. I was kinda hoping someone else would jump in here.

All I could suggest really is borrowing a disk from a friend if you could.
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's likely that your restoration data is stored on a secret partition of the hard drive. Lots of manufacturers are choosing that option because they don't have to supply a proper Windows disk. Trouble is, the only way to access the info is via their recovery disk and if that doesn't work you have a major problem.

If you have a Windows key, it's possible to reinstall using a borrowed Windows disk, but more often than not, the key will only work with the installed OEM version.

Other than that, you can only go back to the supplier and complain LOUDLY!

Good luck.

Member Help2Go Moderator

Do you have a floppy drive or cd burner? If so, try this:

http://www.tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm
    Last edited by PartieHonteuse; 05-28-2008 at 08:41 PM.