Default virus scanning and online scanning.

thanks to help2go i usualy use the net scanners, panda and housecall, to aid me in pc security. however most times it can take very long. my own protion on board is eset nod 32 antivirus. it takes about an hour to do a full scan. where as panda net scan took almost 3 hours. maybe its because of all the files? which is my real issue i suppose. the count ifnished off around 932,000 give or take a few hundred. so i was wondering if thats normal or above normal? ive been use cclean too so i was curious to know. i have uninstalled crap i dont use too. but since the start of this pc i have downloaded, installed and uninstalled some stuff. thanks for your thoughts.

The time to scan depends on the amount of files on the system. Also remember that an online scanner will also be limited to the speed of your internet connection as to where your resident a/v scanner is not. You also need to remember to turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing an online scan. The reason why is because each file an online scanner looks at, the resident a/v will want to look at also, making the online scan take that much longer.

You could also try another scanner to see if the results are the same speed wise although I suspect that they might since you use two different ones already. I really like Kaspersky's online scanner myself. Here is my canned speech for it if you are interested in trying it:

Establish an internet connection & perform an online scan with Internet Explorer at Kaspersky Online Scanner

Answer Yes, when prompted to install an ActiveX component.
    • The program will then begin downloading the latest definition files.
    • Once the files have been downloaded click on NEXT
    • Locate the Scan Settings button & configure to:[list:9b1a23e609]
    • Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:[list:9b1a23e609]
    • Extended
    [*]Scan Options:
    • Scan Archives
    • Scan Mail Bases
    [/list:u:9b1a23e609][*] Click OK & have it scan My Computer[*] Once the scan is complete, it will display if your system has been infected. It does not provide an option to clean/disinfect. We only require a report from it.[*] Click the Save as Text button to save the file to your desktop so that you may post it in your next reply[/list:u:9b1a23e609]* Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan

Note for Internet Explorer 7 users: If at any time you have trouble with the accept button of the licence, click on the Zoom tool located at the right bottom of the IE window and set the zoom to 75 %. Once the license accepted, reset to 100%.
    Proud Member of ASAP
    Proud Member of UNITE

Do not ask for my help via pm. Keep it in the forums so all may learn from it.

My help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum