Unhappy C:\windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt

Hello,

I've had problems with my XP regarding the error message:
    C:\windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt

I found PartieHonteuse's solution on the post:

http://www.help2go.com/Tutorials/Win...r_corrupt.html

Unfortunately, I ran into the problem mentioned in Option 3:

"According to some users/readers of this article there have been instances of following this option and it not working and when they go back into the Recovery Console to try a different restore point they are asked for a password and when they enter the password it is incorrect or the recovery console doesn't let them have access. If this happens to you please follow either option 3 or 4 at your discretion. Either of those should fix this issue. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer as to why suddenly the Recovery Console either asks for a password when it didn't before or it doesn't recognize the password you used the first time. I can assure you that I am looking into this and will give you the answer as soon as I do. The only thing I can assume is that it has to do with the issue discussed in the “Recovery Console” section when using OEM or Sysprep imaged machines."

So now I can't get into the Recovery Console because it asks for a password and I never had a password to begin with and I don't know how to find out what the password is.

Was there ever an update to this post helping to resolve this problem. I really don't want to give up and overwrite my whole system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by 2021music; 05-24-2008 at 09:57 PM. Reason: misspelling

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm sure Partie will answer you when he comes on line, but in the meantime see if this helps http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308402

Are you able to boot your system?

No, I can't boot my system. Every time I try to I get the Windows XP Home Edition startup screen, then it's off to a blue screen with "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down....

The technical information is: STOP 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0XF8CF051D, 0XF8BCF0A8, 0X00000000)