Default Old Printer and new Vista Laptop

Hi Help2go

I have just got a new tosiba laptop with Vista and am trying to connect it to my old laserjet 4L printer.

I have bought a usb 25 point parallel cable and plugged it into the end of the printer cable that used to go into the back of my computer and the other end goes into a usb port on the laptop. I got this instead of a direct printer to laptop cable to give me extra cable length.

The computer seems to recognise the new cable and allows me to add the laserjet4l printer to my printers in the control panel.

The problem is that it will not print the test page and on the printer picture it says error.

Has anyone any ideas what I can do to get the printer to work?

Many thanks

Hilary

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

The test page should print without being connected to the PC. Try that first. Do you know if the printer is compatible with Vista? Check out printer manufacturer's site (don't use Microsoft's drivers for 3rd party hardware) for your model's vista driver and install that.

Hiya,

Thanks for this. The HP website tells me that the loaded Vista has the correct driver however recommends that I may like to buy a new printer!!

Other than that I am having no luck.

The printer works ok on my old laptop using its 25 pin port and also prints its test page.

I am loathe to get a new printer as I have over 4000 pages of toner left.

Any other advice or am I on a hiding to nothing

Best wishes

Hilary

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It sounds as though, with that cable configuration, you are getting one-way traffic. It might be worth trying a dedicated printer/laptop cable and going from there.

Thanks for this, I think I will get a dedicated cable. I just trying to be too clever.

Love the name, makes mine look very dull

Regards

Hilary

Smile

Hi,

Great news. The new 36 cable works! I followed all the instructions that came with the cable etc etc and it all did as it did before.......nothing

In frustration I just restarted the computer with the printer and cable attached and when it booted up it detected the whole thing, installed the necessary hardware etc and now runs fine.

Sometimes I think I just try too hard and should maybe just let the machines do it for me!

Best wishes and thanks

Hilary

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hilary220864 View Post
    ....maybe just let the machines do it for me!
    Oh, if it were only that simple!

Pleased it all worked out. Good luck.