Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm not really a fan of RealPlayer but there are many that swear by it. I always remember swearing at it!

I use Freecorder to record streaming audio. It is a small program that works with Vista and it's FREE!

Try it http://applian.com/sound-recorder/

arraknid, I looked at that program and may use it. In my old system, Creative had the What You Hear feature that I liked, but I haven't been able to configure the new Creative to give me that option. (The days are always too short it seems.)

I went with a Sound Blaster card several years ago because at the time I wanted to transfer some old vinyl and cassette recordings to my hard drive and then to cd, and Creative seemed to have a pretty straight forward approach. (Everything worked, but I still have many albums to go.)

But that was then. Have you done any such transfers? I'm wondering if Creative is still a good way to go -- I assume it is.

Blog Entries

I have, many years ago, but I do things somewhat differently these days as my system is set up for musical composition with lots of external bits and bobs. Strangely enough, I answered a thread a few weeks back here http://www.help2go.com/forum/showthr...548#post410548 that outlines the connection aspect, but also has a link to software that offers 14 days free. One of my work colleagues uses it and swears by it. Might be worth a try.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I note in your previous post
    I just found out thur Device Driver that my present drivers are the most up to date, according to Windows;
    . When it comes to 3rd party drivers, do NOT rely on Microsoft for information or updates. The best route to go is to the manufacturer's site, look for the latest driver according to the model of the card and of the operating system you're using. The exception to this rule is, if your PC is an over the counter job .. HP, Toshiba, IBM etc, you'll need to get any driver updates from their sites (quoting of course model# and o/s) .. unless you've installed a new card after purchase, in which case go to the card's manufacturer's site.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aristata View Post
    I just found out thur Device Driver that my present drivers are the most up to date, according to Windows; this after I pointed to my Downloads folder where I had the Creative update I downloaded the past hour.
    Canuck, I think you'll find that's what he did.

Thanks arraknid, I wasn't quite sure what he meant by the second part of that statement. You've opened my eyes .. too bad I can't see

Canuck, after I read your post today I went to HP's site and downloaded/installed their latest driver for my sound card. Result: same old problem running Real Player.

I also played one of my music CDs (which I hadn't done yet) and I had the same problem, again, only with Real Player. My Creative program played the tracks without any skipping.

I don't know how to get help from Real Player so my next step will be to try and install the previous version of Real which I had on my last PC, the XP model. Don't know as yet if it is compatible with Vista.

Forgot to say, I haven't run the CCLeaner program. Is it that important with such a new system?

thanks for the posts...

Aristata, old PC or new, whether we're on the net or composing a letter, a lot of 'crap' is left behind. Just because you delete a file, doesn't mean that there's not a 'footprint' left behind. After awhile, all this 'crap' builds up .. especially when deleting programs and on the net. The more junk left behind, the slower the performance of the PC. If used on a regular basis (I do it every day, but once a week is good) I run Ccleaner, and as old as my PC is, I really can't complain about it's speed. No you don't have to use Ccleaner, but it sure is a good friend to have and what's more it's free. Your choice

Problem solved.

A geek in town pointed me to oldversion.com where I downloaded Real Player 10.5, the older version I used in my last system. The annoying snaps or skips are no longer there when I restore or minimize programs to the task bar.

Canuck, I ran Ccleaner to un-constipate my system before I installed RP.

On to my next problem, I just read that my new Sound Blaster Audio X-Fi Extreme Audio card does not support What U hear so I am unable to record streaming audio. My old SB card (I saved it) in my XP system did, but apparently it won't with Vista.

I might try a program called Freecorder. Anyone have experience with it??

thanks

Glad you got it figured out ... I guess there was only one solution left .. a buggy new version. Haven't used Freecorder, but these reviews look good enough that I might look into it too. http://www.geek.com/review-freecorde...r-pc-for-free/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast