Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Is that an echo I hear?

Just be sure to reset your search defaults.

Default Freecorder

Canuck, any threads on recording streaming audio?

I downloaded Freecorder -- http://applian.com/sound-recorder/ -- last night and recorded from one of my favorite online radio programs.

It looks like pretty decent freeware and claims to be free of spyware/adware. The parent company sells a number of other software titles so they make their $ that way.

For some reason it needs to be installed in either Firefox or IE; doesn't look like it can go on the Desktop or Start menu. I have the latest version of Firefox, 3.0, which would not accept it so I had to install it on IE.

I recorded over an hour of music and Freecorder kept recording even when I hit my mouse's mute button to silence RealPlayer. That is one up on Creative's What U Hear -- if I hit the mute button with Creative, there would be nothing to record.

The default recording volume level remained constant no matter how high or low the volume that I set on Real to play thru my speakers.

When I hit the Stop recording button, I was prompted to enter a title, and then the file was saved to the default folder which I had previously specified.

Besides the Record and Stop buttons, there are buttons for Pause, Settings and Play. The Play button has a nice touch: it takes you to the location of your saved files.

So far I'm happy!

Blog Entries

As I said to you previously, when installed in IE, Freecorder will change your default search to its own. You just need to reset it.

Sorry for the echo.

So far what I don't like is the inability to fade in/fade out with the volume control on Freecorder.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aristata View Post
    So far what I don't like is the inability to fade in/fade out with the volume control on Freecorder.
    As you say, there are one or two small details that could be improved, but for Freeware I think it's pretty good. The fact that it's installed in IE shouldn't be a problem, just set it up, minimize the whole lot and go off browsing with Firefox whilst listening to, and recording, your music.

I'm not sure there are any threads on recording streaming audio, but if there are, I'm sure Canuck will know.

Good luck.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

No, I'm pretty sure we don't have any streaming tutorials or posts, certainly not recent (in the last couple of years) posts on the subject. Here's a web article that may help http://www.emoney.al.ru/capture-stre...ming-audio.htm , otherwise check out this http://www.google.ca/search?source=i...streaming&meta= . Hope this helps.

I'm fine for now so it's on to other things, such as deciding whether or not to use the Vista backup program to save my Docs to my backup hd. Comments on that?

Many thanks,

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123