Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Real Player skips when programs loaded; Vista

Running RP 11.03 on my new Vista machine. Whenever I Restore or Minimize a program to the Task Bar, I get a millisecond pop or snap or skip in whatever music I'm listening to on RP. Very annoying. With the earlier version of RP I had running on WIN XP, no problem.

1st post here. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aristata View Post
    Running RP 11.03 on my new Vista machine. Whenever I Restore or Minimize a program to the Task Bar, I get a millisecond pop or snap or skip in whatever music I'm listening to on RP. Very annoying. With the earlier version of RP I had running on WIN XP, no problem.

1st post here. Thanks
    =================

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Suggest you first see if there are new soundcard drivers for vista from your soundboard manufacturer's site (not microsoft). Update drivers and then download ccleaner ( www.ccleaner.com ) install and run with the default settings. Keep us posted.

I don't have the problem when using Windows Media Player so I suspect my sound card is not the problem but I will look for updates, even though my system is new and I should be up to date.

I plan to reinstall Real Player to see if that works. More later.

Thanks for the tip. I'll post more issues I'm having later.

Quote Originally Posted by aristata View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I'll post more issues I'm having later.
    Other issues?

may be best to tell us all the symptoms all at once, as some of these 'issues' may be related.

once the problems have been listed, we can work through them in a more prioritised order.

Default Other issues?

Sorry about that, lots of other things on my mind now with the new PC, etc.

I just uninstalled/reinstalled Real Player and the problem is still there.

Depending on what I'm listening to, the skip (a brief snap or pop) is barely audible, but with most music I listen to it is very annoying. And when I open or close programs there is no problem. It is only when I minimize or restore a program to the taskbar that I get the skip.

My Creative Media Source player that came with the Sound Blaster card (X-Fi Extreme) plays fine, no skips at all, just like Media Player.

Another issue I've noticed is that I can no longer record music from streaming radio using the Sound Blaster software. I hit the record button, just like with my old Creative program, and nothing happens.

I am able to use the record function with Real, (my old version of Real did not have this capability) but it is very clutsy by comparison. It doesn't give me a chance to name a file, and at least on one occasion did not stop recording when I hit the Stop button -- it added another 30 seconds or so.

aristata

IMHO i would say all these are related, and are pointing towards your sound card in some way, shape or form.

Please include in your reply's any steps you have taken with regards advice given.

i see canuck has advised downloading and running ccleaner, have you done this?

He also advised trying updated sound card drivers from the manuftr's site, has this been achieved?

If you are having any problems following any of the steps, please dont guess. We are here to answer any queries you may have, and realise not everyone knows things we consider simple (including myself!). The only stupid questions in computing are the ones that are not asked.

Any problems finding/installing drivers or using software, post back with details and we'll help you.

My opinion of what to try next is as canuck suggested, but with 1 twist...

1, download and run CCleaner
    2, uninstall your soundcard driver (ask if you do not know how to do this)
    3, run CCleaner again (to remove any lingering driver software)
    4, install the new driver software.

Post back with results, and any problems.

EDIT: Footnote: If the reinstall of drivers and cleanup using ccleaner does not solve your problem, i'm out of ideas, and as always, bow to the other volunteers expertise to continue to help you

Thanks for all the tips MrDarn and Canuck.

I went to the Creative driver page and downloaded the most recent file which looked appropriate -- driver and application updates. (I am not a gamer.) After download, the updates would not install. Message: "Setup unable to detect a supported product on your system...."

My product is SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio; the download was specified for that hardware/software program, so the message did not make sense.

I'll run the CCleaner program later. Have I said that my system is only about two weeks old? Wouldn't think I've added much clutter at all.

I need to contact HP tech support re another problem so will ask them, again, about this issue.

(I've talked to several tech support people and have yet to resolve how to configure the addition of a second hard drive and a second DVD player. Too much trial and error, but I'm think I'm nearly there.)

aristata

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You seem to have a number of 'media players' on your system. Is it possible that one of them is starting when Vista boots and is working in the background. You should also check that you don't have an on-board sound chip enabled in the BIOS. Some sound chips don't like working with PCI audio cards.

Find the sound card listed in Device Manager, right click on it, select Properties, open Driver tab and click on Update driver. Let the Hardware Update Wizard search for an update. If that fails, go past that portion and select Install from a list or specific location (Advanced), and browse to the file you downloaded. (if that is either a .zip or .exe file you may need to extract the contents beforehand.)

arraknid, I do have other media players but use Real because I have been able to learn how to use it to fit my needs. I may need to change that!

All I want, basically, is to be able to record streaming audio and to have a Favorites list of the many on-line radio stations I listen to.

I just found out thur Device Driver that my present drivers are the most up to date, according to Windows; this after I pointed to my Downloads folder where I had the Creative update I downloaded the past hour.

thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast