Default Have I crashed? What do I do to get up and running?

OS is WIN/ME on an HP Pavilion 630. I replaced a monitor that had gone bad, then the mouse froze up so I connected another one. The system booted and started running a CD program ( CD was still in the drive), then everything quit. I tried restarting and nothing. So, I got out my floppy to reboot from - it started but then it froze up too. Now I can turn it on, get the blue HP logo screen and that's it. Was working just fine. Has a new power supply, installed at the shop, not by me. Since it just won't start...I can't reboot from a floppy, what am I do to? I previously posted to another computer forum site, and as usual, my posts are never answered there! Must be wearing the wrong color shirt or holding my mouth funny as I type! Any help you can give me I will much appreciate. Thank you!

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Are you able to boot up in Safe Mode?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As the post screen is coming up, you should be able to get into BIOS. (Hold down Delete key, though sometimes F2 key, when starting) By the sound of things, your boot order is starting with CDRom drive. Under the header BOOT check to see what order the devices are in and also, more importantly, check to see if your hard drive is recognised and in the list. If yes, change the boot order to boot from the hard drive first, then save changes and exit. See if the machine boots now. If the drive isn't listed, exit BIOS and try a CMOS reset. That will entail getting inside the box, so if you aren't happy with that, find someone who is. Position of the CMOS jumper is different on all motherboards, so you need to check the MB manual or the manufacturer's website.

Final thought, maybe the old girl is trying to tell you something. That's an old machine and OS, maybe time for an upgrade? Just a thought.

Default crashed?

I cannot "start" in anything! Safe mode prompting doesn't work. Nothing but the HP screen shows.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bram View Post
    I cannot "start" in anything! Safe mode prompting doesn't work. Nothing but the HP screen shows.
    Did you try holding down the Delete key when you press the button to start the computer? If that doesn't get you into BIOS, try the CMOS reset and try again.

Try disconnecting everything except the monitor. That includes mouse, keyboard, usb peripherals - everything! Then try booting.

Are you hearing any 'beeps' when you start up? If so, how many?

I just re-read your original post. Do you mean it hasn't worked since the new power supply was fitted? If that's the case, go back to where you had the work done. It could be a badly seated power connector.

Good luck.

Default crashed?

nothing happens when I press delete as I push the start button - still the same HP logo screen, nothing more happens. Same thing when I disconnect everything except the monitor!

Default crashed?

unit woked for some time after new power supply was installed, I don't think that's the problem - I just wanted to inform readers of recent changes to the unit. Also, no beeps at all, anytime!

Blog Entries

The symptoms you describe are 100% typical of a failed power supply, but as you just had that replaced, there is the possibility that a power connector to the motherboard has come loose. It's also possible that the power supply needs replacing again (it can happen), or worst of all, the motherboard has died.

If you are comfortable working inside the box, disconnect from mains power and check that all connectors are fully seated, especially the long strip connector going to the motherboard. If you aren't, take it to someone who is. I would suggest you go back to the shop that changed the power supply and get them to check it. It must still be under guarantee.

Good luck.