Thread: Shared Folders

Default Shared Folders

I was wondering what would be the easiest way to move shared folders? At work there are about 6 PC's on a network and we all have are on shared folder. Well I got a new PC and hooked it up and everything and got it on the network but now my folder isnt there. This is because its on the old PC right? I can see the other peoples folder by they dont see me. So basicall I just need to know what is the easiest way to get back to normal and have my shared docs back. All are running Windows XP.

Thank you in advance!

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you have networked PC's rather than workstations accessing a central core, each of the users' shared folders is stored on the individual's computer. If you have changed your PC without transferring your shared folders from the old PC, they won't be visible. You have a few options....

1. Install the old Hard Drive in the new PC as a slave - remembering to reset jumper to the Slave position - and transferring the original Shared Folder content to the new PC.

2. Reconnect the old PC to the network and copy the Shared Folder content to another PC on the network. Reconnect the new PC and copy back to it.

3. You could tranfer the files using a flash drive, depending on size. Remember to COPY the files not MOVE them, that way you'll retain them on the old PC.

Shared folders are situated in one of two places C:\Documents and Settings\All Users or C:\Documents and Settings\user name

Both assume the root drive is C:

Having done that, you'll need to reset all of your shared files/drives if applicable.

Hope that helps. Good luck.
    Last edited by arraknid; 06-16-2008 at 02:38 PM.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

If it's company related, you should really check with your IT.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    If it's company related, you should really check with your IT.
    I'd like that painted in 2 metre high letters on the front of our building!!! Oh, if only!

Actually, I assumed that as the guy installed his own PC, there is no IT dept.
    Last edited by arraknid; 06-16-2008 at 03:24 PM.

Thank you for the help aaraknid, it was very helpful I will just put the folders on a jump drive and carry them over, I guess I just got a little confused but understand now. Also there is no IT dept. its my buddy's company there is only like 10 employees. But anyway thank you!