Angry My turn with annoying glitch......

Hi all,

Yes, it is annoying. I usually listen to this link http://2gb.com/ daily, with no problems at all when I click on LISTEN LIVE. Now don't laugh at the accent!

BUT

Today I was tweaking my internet options on IE when I unchecked "Disable Script debugging". Instantly I lost my talkback on the above link.

Note the red cross in the attached file. There should be a player there to stream the talkback, but there is only a red cross. I put the tick back, rebooted, but to no avail.

All works fine on my Laptop so I compared the Internet Options settings in advanced with the PC from the Laptop but still I cannot get my radio back. There is nothing wrong with Windows Media Player as from this link I can hear my music as usual. http://www.4mbsclassicfm.com.au/

I downloaded and installed Firefox, so am up and running with the talk back through Firefox Browser, no problems at all. Uhh I wonder why Firefox streams 2GB and not IE?

Some ideas would be greatly appreciated

thank you.
    Attached Images

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Did you try system restore?

Quote Originally Posted by arraknid View Post
    Did you try system restore?
    Thanks for answering - No I didn't as I will loose my Firefox installation if I do and then maybe have nothing again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tallin View Post
    Thanks for answering - No I didn't as I will loose my Firefox installation if I do and then maybe have nothing again.
    On the basis that all worked well before the 'tweaking', you know IE will work, and a reinstall of Firefox should work fine a second time. If not just reverse the system restore.

Default System Restore

Hi Arraknid,

I took your advice, did a system restore back one day to 17th June in my case. Another problem has arisen as follows:

Your Computer cannot be restored to Tuesday 17th June 2008
    No changes have been made to your computer.
    Choose another restore point.
    This has happened to me before and I did not follow in up at the time.

IE will still not load the radio station required, but I am listening to it now through Firefox.

I went into
    My Computer >Properties >Systems Restore
    and found the following which had been changed sometime as my settings should have been the second choice just enabled again by me.

C:\Drive 12% 9157MB, reduced to 3% 1991MB
    E:\Drive 12% 18315MB reduced to 2% 3703MB

E:\Drive is my external removal Hard Drive for Ghost 12 image backups only.

Would really appreciate some guidance here as to why my computer cannot execute a Systems Restore point.

Thank you.

Blog Entries

Hi Tallin,

There are a number of reasons why Sys Restore can't restore, the most common of which is viral/malware interference, but also that there is insufficient storage space allocated within XP. It sounds as though you had that problem. Unfortunately, without the data, you can't go back. There is also the possibility that XP has a glitch. Follow the instructions here http://www.theeldergeek.com/system_r...unctioning.htm to see if that's the case.

This article http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...w_03may19.mspx may also be of assistance, eevn though its a little old. Ignore the Backup stuff at the end!!

You say you have an external drive running Ghost 12. Can you restore from there? I would also advise you not to include that drive in the System Restore settings. It's somewhat pointless as it is merely backing up what is already backed up and uses resources unnecessarily. It'll also cut your backup time in half.

Of course, there's always the other option.....leave it as it is!

Good luck.

Hope that helps.

Tallin, what version of internet explorer are you using?

Also, where you see the yellow "!", you can double click that to get the error message from the page to see if that will tell you where the problem is.

If you're using IE7 try checking tools>internet options> programs tab > manage add-ons > see is windows media player is on the list and enabled.
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

Default System Restore

Firstly thank you for your posts.

Arraknid
    I am sure my problem is not malware as only this week I had a log analyzed with clear results. During that analysis, I was instructed to run CombFix.exe which removed my Google Tool bar and also must have changed my system restore capacity in XP as I explained in my first post regarding this matter. I only discovered the change to day so as already advised have reduced it back to 3% and 2% on C and E Drives respectively.

Regarding the first link you sent. I have done that as it was a mandatory exercise when cleaning up after the HJT log analysis.

I have not yet followed the other link you sent as I am in the middle of this post to you both but will on completion of it.
    Arraknid wrote:
    You say you have an external drive running Ghost 12. Can you restore from there? I would also advise you not to include that drive in the System Restore settings.
    I am not sure how to stop System Restore for E:\Drive, but I do agree with you that is is somewhat pointless backing up twice. Would you guide me please with how to do this?

Mich
    Windows Media Player was disabled in Manage Add-on, but it is not now, and wollah! I can now stream from IE as I did before touching the b......y settings in tools yesterday. Thank you very much, you have solved the problem for me with one click of the mouse in IE add-ons.

I am running Windows XP/SP2/3 but getting to Add-ons is almost the same as IE 7.0 so the result is as above and successful.

Much appreciation to you both and I will post back if I get systems restore working.

Blog Entries

Glad you are up and running again. Hopefully the music is good too.

To change your System Restore right click on My Computer, click on the System Restore tab, click on the drive in question, then on Settings. Click on the box 'Turn off System Restore on this drive', then on OK. Click on Apply and OK. Done.

Just bear in mind that lowering the percentage of drive capacity dedicated to System Restore will give you less restore points, but as you have Ghost, that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks Arraknid,

I followed through the second link you sent and the following link also.
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_restore.htm

I also turned off Systems Restore on E:\Drive, restored the computer to an earlier date and back again and all is now working well.

Found in Services System Restore was not turned on!

Many thanks,