Smile my documents/word 2007 slow to load

After installing a new Nvidia FX 5200 256mb card, all appropriate drivers and upgrading memory to 1g. (all recommended by Dell for my ancient Dell 4550 with a 250W power supply) running WinXP, SP2, trying to open My Documents then clicking on a Word document to open takes forever to occur. My Doc opens alright as do other programs, but opening Word takes forever. I have re-installed Office 2007, Norton 360, the Nvidia drivers, etc. I have the Word 2003 computability downloaded. This has not been an issue until last week. I purchased a HP W2408 LCD Monitor, tried all of the different resolution settings all to no avail.
    I am completely lost, a basic skill operator. Can anyone offer any suggestions, or provide a reason why this has happened. I Googled the problem and received a myriad of responses, most over my head/capabilities.

Thank you in advance for any help you may offer. Lost in Vegas!

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My money would have to be on the Nvidia card. The FX5200 has a chequered history of problems, mainly the drivers. Nvidia seem to have a problem when it comes to drivers - one reason why I got rid and opted for a Radeon based card. Installing latest drivers without removing remnants of old drivers can be problematic.

Start computer in Safe mode, delete all Nvidia drivers as listed in Add/Remove Programs. Then do a search for 'Nvidia' and delete the folder - usually on C drive. Now download and run CCleaner from here http://www.ccleaner.com/. Restart in normal mode and install latest drivers.

Let us know what happens.

Smile Response to help

Dear MR A:

Thank you again for your response. I was getting worried that my question was to distorted as to the specifics of my problem(s). I will try your solution and let you all know how it turns out. As a basic skills operator I was not sure where to start. As in the past, thanks again.
    jd

Smile mission accomplished

Dear Mr. A:
    Just a follow up on your solution for my slow loading Word 2007, et al. You were spot-on as to the faulty Nvidia drivers. I did as you advised and now my doc's load in a flash. I was not aware of the Nvidia "history" of problematic drivers etc. I initially contacted Dell because my CPU is circa 2003, and I did not know what type pf card to update to, given my small (250V) power supply. They recommended the PNY GeForceFX 5200. Looking back I wish I would have gone with Raedon. At any rate, looks like my problem is solved thanks to your info. Don't want to celebrate yet, it might all goof up on me being a novice user.
    Thanks again Mr. A.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyD View Post
    Dear Mr. A:
    Just a follow up on your solution for my slow loading Word 2007, et al. You were spot-on as to the faulty Nvidia drivers. I did as you advised and now my doc's load in a flash. I was not aware of the Nvidia "history" of problematic drivers etc. I initially contacted Dell because my CPU is circa 2003, and I did not know what type pf card to update to, given my small (250V) power supply. They recommended the PNY GeForceFX 5200. Looking back I wish I would have gone with Raedon. At any rate, looks like my problem is solved thanks to your info. Don't want to celebrate yet, it might all goof up on me being a novice user.
    Thanks again Mr. A.
    Glad it helped.