Talking Memory - only part enabled

I am new to Help2go, having come across it in my need to find out a problem with my computer. From simply reading other peoples problems it has made me feel better (in knowing that my problem is not unique) plus enabled me to get my computer up and running. However i stil have a problem

Background -
    I was disposing of my old IBM computer from the loft, and thought it might be an idea to utilise the memory cards into my Dell 4600. They did not want to fit, and on removing one of the existing memory cards I could see that they were cut to a different spec and would not fit into the mother board.
    Having dismissed the idea, I put the computer back together - but found that the performance slowed down. It later transpired that I had not put one of the existing memory cards back correctly.
    I rectified this, and then got the Blue screen of death, with unmountable volume....
    I have since followed instructions from the Help2go site, and reloaded Windows XP.

The problem now is that when both Memory cards are in place I get a Black screen, stating "Alert! OS Install Mode enabled. Amount of available memory limited to 256mb. Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the Set Up Utility."
    I have tried switching the memory cards over, and both work on their own, and the Properties are shown as 256mb. This Alert only comes up when I have both cards in at the same time.
    When both are in, Systems and Set Up both show the memory at 512mb which makes me think that the mother board is working, and their is just a problem in my set up. I.e for some reason my set up has not activated the second card. Any ideas?

I did change a few things on Set Up in trying to fix my previous problem so it may be that I have deactivated something.
    On Set Up Memory shows as -
    512mb DDR SD RAM
    System memory speed 400 MHZ
    IT channell Mode dual
    AGP Aperture 128mb (whatever this relates to - checked and I can increase to 256 or reduce)

I suspect (or hope) it is something simple I am missing, and your guidance would be appreciated.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi roger, welcome to H2G. This seems to be quite a common Dell problem. A couple of questions...and suggestions.

The problem now is that when both Memory cards are in place I get a Black screen, stating "Alert! OS Install Mode enabled. Amount of available memory limited to 256mb. Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the Set Up Utility."
    So did you hit F1 or F2, and if yes, what happened? F1 will allow you to continue with just 256mb, F2 will allow you to disable the OS install mode and you should get all 512mb back.

In case the problem continues.....

Did you try resetting BIOS settings to default?

Click on Start - Run - type in MSCONFIG and click on OK. Go to the BOOT.INI tab and click on the Advanced Options button.
    Make certain that the checkbox for the /MAXMEM= line is cleared and
    there is no value in the data box for that line.

Visit the Windows Memory Diagnostic site, http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp download the small utility and run the tests.

Go to http://www.crucial.com and run the scan.

Let us know the outcome.
    Last edited by arraknid; 06-19-2008 at 11:03 AM.

Thanks Thread,

F1 does as you say enable me to continue, but with just 256mb.
    F2 took me to Set up but I was unsure what to change to get it back, so I have simply checked memory and then ESC. I will give it a go this weekend, and will give you feedback on Sunday.

I will need to clear out some of my memory in any case. I take it from other notes that my music downloads from Limewire will be restricting the memory available, while my Photos are at least on the hard drive.

Blog Entries

Good luck.

Smile

Arraknid, thanks very much for your help. I knew it wa simple. All done simply through the Set UP screen.
    Thanks for your time.
    Roger

Blog Entries

You're welcome