Default Dell Inspiron 2200 Turns on for 5 sec, then off.

I was trying to fix the audio jack so I could hear out of it. Needle nose slipped and shorted out something right by the audio out jack. Please help.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Do you get any sound at all? And why do you think the audio jack has to do with the PC turning on and then shutting down? More info is needed.

Default Two totally unrelated things.

My audio jack was messed up....But in the process of trying to fix it I ended up shorting something out that was right next to the audio jack. THEN, the computer started doing this 5 sec turn on then off thing. Before it was fine.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchconner4200 View Post
    I was trying to fix the audio jack so I could hear out of it. Needle nose slipped and shorted out something right by the audio out jack. Please help.
    Are you saying you were doing the work with the power connected???

If not, extraneous solder will be fairly obvious on the circuit board as they are usually coated with a fine protective resin, so removal should be straightforward.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

If it's been shorted, the only thing is to have a tech test it out and see what's been fried. Your question is like 'I saw a spark in the car's engine, what's wrong and how do I fix it?' You may have to get Dell to take a look.

Default Yeah...

The power was only on so I could tell how to tweak the jack. I was being careful as all hell. Then the needle nose slipped and caught the board. Now it's behaving like this. As for sending it to dell, that's why I came here. So I wouldn't have to pay. As far as the car analogy, the problem isn't where the spark was, but what's causing the thing to turn on and off every 5 sec. Is there anyway to reset it, or maybe a fuse?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchconner4200 View Post
    The power was only on so I could tell how to tweak the jack. I was being careful as all hell. Then the needle nose slipped and caught the board. Now it's behaving like this. As for sending it to dell, that's why I came here. So I wouldn't have to pay. As far as the car analogy, the problem isn't where the spark was, but what's causing the thing to turn on and off every 5 sec. Is there anyway to reset it, or maybe a fuse?
    The chances are you've fried the board, but you could try a cmos reset. If it still doesn't work, it's time to get your money out! A word of warning...laptops are incredibly difficult to repair - especially the motherboard, so it could get expensive.