Default make CD of OS from the hidden drive

I got an Emachine given to me without the OS disks and they are no longer available to buy. There is no hidden partition to restore from. I do have the Windows key code though (Win XP home).

My Acer laptop has Win XP home on it in a hidden drive. Is there a way to burn a CD of the OS and install it on my Emachine using the key code for the Emachine?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Pretty sure the answer is no, let alone getting around the registration process. Wait for other's input, but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Canuck's right. It isn't possible for a number of reasons - mainly because the data is compressed, accessible only by your Recovery disk, and is specific to your machine and key.

As you have the key for the original machine, try borrowing an installation disk of the same genre and see if that works.

Member Help2Go Moderator

Could you provide the specific model of eMachine please?

Partie

Also, even though it's not considered an OS CD you can make a recovery disk of sorts using what's called "Imaging" or "Ghosting" software that will make an exact replica of your hard drive and put it in a single file.

Edit: found the post: http://www.help2go.com/forum/showthr...ighlight=ghost

larry47, take a look at the link above, paying attention to arraknid's information.
    Last edited by PartieHonteuse; 06-25-2008 at 05:17 PM.