Default Computer keeps telling me to restart

My computer will not update anything through microsoft, it keeps telling me it needs to restart to complete a previous updating process. I have been to Microsoft update and followed the instructions on the website (they have two repair methods available, and neither one works), I've also simply clicked on restart when it has prompted me, and my computer has been shut down and restarted several times since this whole thing began. It also doesn't want to install SP3. This is driving me nutz! Please advise.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can you pinpoint a time when this problem started? Could that coincide with a software/hardware install? Have you tried System Restore?

There is the possibility that you have some registry errors, so try running CCleaner.

There is an unofficial 'tweak' that may also help. I quote...

The easiest way to fix a Microsoft Update problem is to switch back to Windows Update from the “Change Setting” option on the left-side menu. Don’t see it? Scroll down. Click on “Disable Microsoft Update software and let me use Windows Update only” and then click on “Apply changes now.” After the silly thing asks if you are sure (duh!), it will then launch Windows update. Run it and then switch back to MS Update.

This process of switching from the newer method to the older one and then back again seems to fix a host of registry errors and other wastes of time. It is simple and fast and has almost always worked for me.
    One final thing, you'd be well advised NOT to download and install SP3 at the moment as it seems to be causing a lot of problems. There's very little new in it anyway, just a collection of past updates.

Good luck.
    Last edited by arraknid; 06-24-2008 at 02:52 PM.

Default Thankyou, but still having the same issue.

Okay,
    So I did as you said and switched to windows update, but I'm still having problems, and you were correct that I started having the problem after I tried to update the last time. I can't download any other updates, as it says my computer is still in the process of updating. I will take your advice to heart about SP3, and stay away from it. But, auto updates keeps throwing that little message about restarting my computer up over and over again. Also, when I go into the update website it will say Auto updates is on one time, and off another time. I don't want my computer to automatically update, so I usually use the option of reviewing everything and selecting what I want updated first. I'm definitely not that computer literate, and I have all these wonderful programs that are supposed to keep things like that nasty trojan zlob, and win netsky 32, etc off of my system (they didn't work). I have AVG 7.5, Spybot Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware 2007, Crap Cleaner, and Uniblue Registry Booster, and I keep all of them updated and operational, and run them on a fairly regular basis. Seems like lately I spend more time cleaning up the messes on my system than enjoying it. If you have more suggestions please let me know, and thanks for your reply.

See if dial-a fix is helpful:

Dial-a-fix is a collection of 'known fixes' that have been compiled over the past year that really knock out some serious Windows problems, all with one or two clicks. "When in doubt, check 'em all".

Dial-a-fix tackles issues with SSL/Cryptography, Windows Update, Microsoft Installer, and many miscellaneous shell problems. Example: If you get a blank screen when trying to visit Windows Update, simply checkmark the main Windows Update checkmark (in box #3) and click GO. Most issues can be resolved in a similar manner, if not by combinations of fixes. There is also a 'check all' button which is useful as a last ditch effort, or when you don't understand where a particular problem is coming from.

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...oad-27328.html

zep.

Default The old college try

One of the guys at geeks to go suggested the same thing. I've run it through, and it came up with an error message, so I've sent a copy of that message as instructed by the program. It hasn't worked yet, but maybe if we get to the bottom of that error message it will. I'm done for today, though. Been working on this since 7am, and ready to throw the computer out the second story window (lol). I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks for your help today.

Default Another problem resolved

I was finally able to resolve this issue by simply going back to a restore point previous to the day I began having the problem.