Default RE: Stop error/blue screen when starting a DVD

Hi,
    Remember me? While I am waiting for my replacement memory sticks to come back in the mail from PNY I thought I would try a DVD and "shazzam!" I got the blue screen stop error still. So if there is someone out there familliar with my other posts on this can you tell me what I need to disect into now? I updated the video card but maybe it's a deeper problem?
    Thanks

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi again,

One thing you could try is to reinstall the driver, but first ensure that all remnants of the old one have been cleared out.

I dealt with a similar problem to yours a few days ago and detailed the procedure in that post. Look at the last post in the thread.

http://www.help2go.com/forum/showthr...t=nv4_mini.sys

Good luck.

If I am taking the video card back to the store, should I unistall the driver in safe mode first?

Blog Entries

I think you may have misunderstood the post. I meant you should read just the last post on that thread. Before rushing out to exchange the card try as detailed there.

I repeat it here...

1. Download from here a good copy of nv4_disp.dll. Do a search for the existing file, then replace it with the new one. You may need to do this in Safe Mode if you are told the file is in use.

2. It's essential with NVidea drivers to fully uninstall the old one before installing the new one. Do that as follows....

Start in Safe Mode, open Device Manager and uninstall the video driver listed under Display Adapters. Still in Safe Mode, navigate to system root:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers and delete the file nv4_mini.sys Now restart in Safe Mode again and install the new drivers.

I understood it. It's just that I already did that a while ago before taking out the memory sticks and shipping them off for replacement. I've got a year warranty on the video card and if it's causing the problem then why not replace it with one that is based on a radeon chip.
    Correct? One question that was never addresed though was that I rarely play a DVD on here anyway...is the basis of this stop error causing other problems or will it?

Blog Entries

Reading through past posts of yours, it's possible that you didn't remove the nv4_mini.sys file, which is why I repeated it. Maybe try anyway.

Bottom line, if you can change it, do it.

Unhappy

Remember me asking if you want to tell people they shouldn't have a computer? Well get ready! Where is Device Manager? I do remember re-installing the driver from the CD that came with the video card; that is my confusion from the steps you recently posted above. Otherwise I would know where to find Device Manager. DOH!

Blog Entries

OK. Go to Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager.