Default windows remove/install programs

Mine does not seem to be working right. Anyone else have this problem? How does one fix it?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Please be more specific. A detailed description of what happens when you try to use Add/remove Programs would be a good start.

What version of Windows are you using?
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Default windows remove/install programs

The 'populated' list includes only a few of the programs; the rest of the list page is black. When I scroll down, all I get is more black.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ok, this is a long shot. It's possible that one of the entries in your Add/Remove Programs has a corrupted registry entry. What you need to do is identify which one it is and uninstall/delete it.

I suggest you download Ccleaner from here. When you run it, ignore the top Cleaner option and click on Tools. That window will show all programs installed in your machine and is, to all intents and purposes, a copy of the list in Windows Add/Remove Programs.

Now open Add/Remove Programs and compare the 2 lists. Find the last entry you can see in the Windows list before the black starts, then look at the Ccleaner version. What is the entry directly after it? It's possible that that program is causing the problem. Now use Ccleaner to remove it by highlighting the entry in the list and clicking Run Uninstaller.

Now click on Registry and click on Scan for Issues. When finished, leave all entries selected and click on Fix selected issues. Say YES when asked if you want to back up the registry, save to somewhere like Desktop, and then in the following window click on Fix All Selected Issues.

Does that make a difference?