Default Unable to use IE6

It is a pc with win98se PIII, 256k and now I am unable to use internet and all what I got is: Page not found. i called to telefonica and asked where could be the problem and he told me that the operative system had problems after following some steps he indicated: run--command- enter
    then I wrote ipconfig and had the info they requiered as the IP address. Then I wrote Ping and the response was file not found.
    According to it what can I do to fix the problem.
    rgds
    mloo55

hi mloo.

How is the computer connected to the internet? a dialup modem, a router, a cable modem, an adsl modem?

If you're using a router, can other computers reach the internet from it?
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

It has adsl connection and the light adsl/act in the modem is on all the time. really I dont know exactly what other thing to do.
    rgds
    mloo55

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Have you tried resetting the modem .. if there is no reset button, unplug it from the power for about 30 seconds and then plug it back in.

You will need to connect through the modem to the internet mloo. Do you have anywhere now on your computer where you type in a user name and password to connect to the internet?
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi mloo,

You may need to reload your account details into the modem/router. Can you give us the make and model? All have different default user names and passwords, so the model info would help point you in the right direction. Alternatively, I'm sure your ISP would have supplied a CD-rom to enable you to set up the connection. If so, try running it again.

Just I called again to the internet provider and of course with another person who help me to solve the problem due the configuration was changed for some reason. Now I am writing from this pc.
    thanks for yr help
    mloo55

Thumbs up

Thanks for letting us know your problem was solved and how it was resolved. This may help another member in the future.
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mloo55 View Post
    ... the configuration was changed for some reason.
    Good to hear you are back online again. Your router configuration won't change on its own, so be sure to run adequate anti-malware software. This recent thread may be of interest.

Good luck.