Default Wired Outlook Problem

Iíve encountered a strange problem in Outlook 2007. Starting from around a month ago, I started receiving emails that Iíd already received and deleted a few weeks ago. I became suspicious after this happened repeatedly. Later on I discovered that every time I received an old message, it overwrote one of my new message! It has nothing to do with the service provider as I could see the overwritten message in the server (log in through web mail) after I selected to leave message at the server. In other words, the old message that re-appeared was not from the server and the overwritten process occurred after (or during) the new message was downloaded into my pc.

Iíd tried to use the repair office function in Add/Remove to fix the problem and the symptom would stop for a while. But after one to two weeks time it would come back. At first, it affects only one of my email account. Now it takes turn to affect my other web (yahoo and hotmail) accounts as well. The problem appears once every two to three days. Every time I notice thereíre emails arrived that dated back a few weeks ago, I know thereíre messages overwritten and Iíve to log in to the server to check them out. Itís very annoying but otherwise no other problems are detected.

I suspect this is a virus or worm. Iíd full scanned my computer with the latest virus definition (McAfee) but nothing is picked out. Iíve also run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Kaspersky Online Scanner but both found nothing suspicious. The hijack log also shows nothing special (Iíd posted it to the spyware forum for comment). I just wonder whether anyone has come across similar problem or have an explanation of this wired behavior. Suggestion to cure the problem are more than welcome. Many thanks for the help.

Beyon

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm not an Outlook user in any way, shape or form, but I would suggest that opting to leave your mail in the web mailbox means that Outlook will continue to download them. Outlook is no more than a 'postman' and collects anything it finds and delivers it to your machine. Deleting them in Outlook doesn't delete them on the server. I would suggest you delve into the settings and see if you can find a setting that will allow it to treat previously downloaded mail as 'already read'.

Alternatively try using something like Thunderbird.

Default Outlook Problem

Thanks for the advice. Interestingly, Outlook seems to know which message it had already downloaded before. In other words, it won't download the same message again (no matter it was overwritten or not) even I select to leave the mail in the server. The only problem is that, using your analogy, I've to go to check the post office (the server message bank) every time I get a special message (a mail that dates back a few weeks ago) delivered by the postman. It's very annonying.

If there's no fix for the problem, I may try uninstall and reinstall Outlook again. But that means I've to set up all the accounts and settings again. And I'm not sure whether the problem is in the Outlook program itself or in my pst (Outlook data) file! If it's is the latter, uninstall and reinstall may not solve the problem... unless I delete all my records and create the pst file anew. As you'd suggested, I may also move to another email client. But I prefer to use Outlook if possible. Thanks again for the prompt reply and suggestion. I'll wait to see whether there are any further suggestions or advice before I make a final decision. Beyon

Hmmm, I have a few questions:

1. These duplicated messages; to the originals still reside in your inbox, or have they been moved and or deleted?

2. Are you using Outlook Connector?

3. This still could b e an issue with the ISP's mail server if the header info is somehow changed. Have you checked with the ISP to see if they have other reports?

4. Is this an OEM box and if so, what brand?

5. What version of Office 2007 is this and is it a preinstalled trial (which has been activated) or a downloaded purchase, or a RTM (retail box)?

6. Do you have another version of Office also installed?

7. Is there anything you can relate that these duplicates may have in common? Same sender, certain days, anything?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just to add a small note to my previous post...

As you'd suggested, I may also move to another email client. But I prefer to use Outlook if possible.
    If you do decide to move to Thunderbird 2, you can import all of your Outlook content and settings. Why not run them side by side to see if TB2 works any better.

Default Reply

Hi bilbo_Baggin,

Thanks for the help and here're my answer to your questions:

1. These duplicated messages; to the originals still reside in your inbox, or have they been moved and or deleted?

The duplicated message will be in my inbox, just like a normal new message. Nothing unusal including the content of the message. The original copy (i.e. the message I'd received the first time) had long been deleted as it dated back a few weeks ago. However, they may still in my trash folder. I'm not sure about this.

2. Are you using Outlook Connector?

No, I don't use Outlook Connector, unless it comes along with default Outlook 2007 installation.

3. This still could b e an issue with the ISP's mail server if the header info is somehow changed. Have you checked with the ISP to see if they have other reports?

When the problem first emerged, I suspect this is the ISP problem that a particular email is left by accident in the server and thus I'll download it everytime I log in (at that time I didn't realize that the 'repeated' message had overwritten my new message). I've called and asked them to check for me. My ISP then clear my server bank but the problem continues. Moreover, it's now also affecting my web-based email accounts like yahoo mail. As I can't find any trace of the 'repeated' message when I log in through the web (with leave message at server option on), I think the overwritten occurred when the message was downloaded in my pc.

4. Is this an OEM box and if so, what brand?

That's not an OEM (I guess you're asking about the Office suite). By the way, I'm using XP SP2.

5. What version of Office 2007 is this and is it a preinstalled trial (which has been activated) or a downloaded purchase, or a RTM (retail box)?

It's Office 2007 Professional, a RTM, with all updated download and installed including SP1.

6. Do you have another version of Office also installed?

I uninstalled Office 2003 before installing Office 2007.

7. Is there anything you can relate that these duplicates may have in common? Same sender, certain days, anything?
    At first it's just a single message that I received repeatedly. When the problem started to affect my web accounts later on, the messages appeared more 'diversified'. It seems to me the 'repeated' message was randomly picked up (usually a message arrived two to three weeks ago) and that message will be repeatedly 'used'. However, 'repeated' message of account A will only overwrite new message of account A. There are no cross over here.

I hope this help your diagnosis of the problem. Thanks.

By the way, arraknid, thanks for the advice, I'll get it a try on thunderbird 2 later on and see how it goes. Maybe I just switch to a different email client and this may solve all problems!

Beyon