NM

Default Problem with Acronis True Image Home 11

- Computer A (let's call it the Server) is basically used only for data storage but has most essential, work related programs installed.

- Computer B (the Workstation). Same programs installed as on Server but doesn't store any data on local drive. Uses LAN to access data on Server.

- XP Pro SP3 on both machines

I installed a legit Acronis True Image 11 Home on Server for cloning to a backup drive. After installation (without having run Acronis) the Workstation can't access the data stored on Server anymore.

Workstation can't even browse to Server via My Network Places.

I can still access Server via UltraVNC and do my work like that, except it's slower.

To correct the problem I have to do a System Restore on Server to a point prior to installation of Acronis. But the moment I install it again, I have the same problem.

Only programs which need to access the server seem to be affected. Everything else works as usual.

Oh.... and I scanned Acronis with up-to-date Eset Smart Security prior to installation.

Has anyone had the same problem and found a solution to that.

Cheers
    Norbert
    Norbert

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Norbert,

My first thought is that there have been problems with ATI11 and the SP3 update. Acronis state system requirement as SP2 - note it isn't stated as minimum system requirement. My question is, what was installed first?

Did you run the demo version of ATI11 before purchasing? That's always a good idea before parting with your money and will highlight any installation problems.

Can you rebuild the network connection using the 'Set up a Home Network...' wizard in My Network Places.

Finally, you may need to uninstall ATI11 and SP3 update using Add/Remove Programs, then reinstall ATI11.

Hope that helps. Let us know.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Norbert, again.

It struck me today that there is possibly an easier way to achieve your goal without using any backup software. It all depends on whether your machine has an integrated RAID controller. If you have, you could set up a RAID1 array. That setup requires 2 physical drives and works as an auto backup system. In other words, anything written to disk 1 will also be written to disk 2. It's called mirroring and is used all of the time by commercial enterprises.

If you have the required hardware, there's a tutorial here.

Hope that helps.

NM

Hi arraknid,

I have not checked the forum for a while as I was under the impression that and email would advise me of any additional posting(s) to my thread.

Anyway, I have a feeling it's not my setup but the software. Acronis was purchased over the net from an independant. I installed it and tried to see if I had the latest version...

Seconds later I got a message from Acronis saying that while the key is legitimate, I should contact them immediately, which I did. Got an acknowledgement fro support at Acronis (July 04) but so far nothing else....

Will check your RAID suggestion as I have 2 indentical, physical drives but I am not sure about the comtroller.

Norbert
    Last edited by NM; 07-15-2008 at 04:42 PM. Reason: omission of word
    Norbert