Question I don't know what external drives work well with a Mac powerbook G4.

I am going to upgrade my operating system so that I can use Logic Pro 7, version 7.2 and I then want to use an external drive to record audio but which drives are fast and reliable?

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Innes View Post
    I am going to upgrade my operating system so that I can use Logic Pro 7, version 7.2 and I then want to use an external drive to record audio but which drives are fast and reliable?
    Hi Neil,

You don't say what the spec of your G4 is or what connections are available. In general, you should go for the fastest your machine can accommodate, especially with music creation. If you have Firewire 800, go for that, if not go for USB2. I think the Iomega range supports those and standard Firewire and USB.

Being a 'composer' myself, using Cubase SX4 on a Pentium dual-core 3ghz machine, you may find you'll struggle using even the most powerful G4 especially when using lots of audio samples or using effects that require lots of processing. You may also find the on-board audio struggling a bit too.

My advice is to go to a dedicated Logic forum and see what others are doing before committing yourself. The official Apple forum is here, but you may find it useful to read the posts available on the KVR Audio site.

Good luck.